National Pig Day - Pork Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

Smothered Pork Chops

6 pork chops
1 stick butter, melted
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
3 cans water
2 cups rice
salt, pepper, garlic power
1/4 cup oil
flower to dredge chops

Season pork chops with salt, pepper, garlic powder and any other seasonings you like. Flour and brown chops in medium hot oil on both sides. In a large casserole add butter, rice, cream of mushroom soup. Place pork chops on top of rice and pour wateron top. Cover and bake on 350 for 1 hr or until tender. Add more water as needed. You can add some roux mix or brown gravy if you would like your gravy thicker and darker. Serve with a green vegetable and bread.

Dor

KyaD and Randy I love myself some pork chops. I don't eat them much anymore because I am the only one besides my grands that like it. For 40 days now I am going to be eating properly. My church is starting our 40 day fast starting Wednesday of next week.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prepare them about once every couple of months and they go over well, but I haven't fixed them like Miss Dorothy has done them. I think that sounds like a good way to bring in a bit of variety and also keep the chops from getting too dry.

Kya D

We eat alot of pork it is cheaper than most meat. At least out here it is because everybody knows someone that works at the hog farm and they can get the pork cut and wrapped for really cheap.

Dor

I grew up eating lots of pork because that is what my father, grandfathers and uncles used to raise.

I have used that recipe for chicken and turkey too. I brown the meat just enough to keep the juices in and to brown the gravy that it makes. I am sure you can use pork steak or chuck steak. I cook my chuck roast that way but leave off the butter and rice. It makes a great gravy and the meat comes out tender. I add my potatoes and carrots at the end.

Dor

Let me know how you like it KyaD. I hope you do just tweek it to suit your family.

plantlover

I buy pork all the time. As Dawn says, it's always the cheapest meat in the store...even cheaper than chicken. The only thing that's significantly cheaper is ground turkey, and that's not ground turkey breast. The cheap stuff is only 85% lean. I often rub the meat with a spice rub that draws the juices in. It's best when I can rub the meat and either allow the rub to soak in over night, or at least let it soak in for a few hours. Then I grill, broil or bake it.

Dor

We have Randalls grocery here and time to time they have center cut pork chops for $99 and it is a whole one and they cut them up. I usually buy 2 or 3 packages, seperate and put them in the freezer. They haven't had it since Hurricane Ike.

Dor

I eat bologna and cheese with mao on white bread. That is something I only eat maybe once a year and now I buy the beef bologna at the meat market.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read through about 10 recipes for pulled pork and settled on this one. I can let you know how the family received it after tomorrow.

Braised Pork Shoulder w/Apple Juice

1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (about 6 pounds)
2 medium onions, chopped
2-1/2 tsp seasoning blend for pork (or salt and pepper)
1 cup apple juice
1 to 1-1/2 c BBQ sauce

Lightly greas large covered Dutch oven or casserole. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Put onions in Dutch oven. Rub the pork with seasoning blend or sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place the roast on the onions and add apple juice. Cover and bake for 5 hours, basting occasionally. Remove the roast to a large platter and shred or chop the meat. Discard bones and fat. Strain the juices and put the solids back into the Dutch oven. Discard the liquids. Add the shredded pork. Add BBQ sauce and stir to blend ingredients. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve on buns topped with cole slaw and additional sauce if desired.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked through quite a few sauce recipes and selected this one to try. I will modify it somewhat though.

Memphis BBQ Sauce

1 c apple cider vinegar
1 c ketchup
½ c water
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp mild chili powder
2 tsp dried Oregano
2 tsp dried thyme

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients (vinegar last), reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Allow to cool. Optionally you can puree this sauce to make a smoother barbecue sauce.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com