Share salad recipes Please!!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I love to cook but I am looking for some new salad recipes, since the weather is changing. I will start with one.

Mexican Coleslaw

1 pkg of coleslaw mix
1 bunch of green onion, chopped
1/2 bunch of cilantro, leaves, chopped
1 can of Mexican-Style corn, drained or fresh (grilled)
1 cup of shredded, Mexican cheese blend
Crushed tortilla chips ,as much as you like

Dressing

1 bottle of Spicy Ranch Dressing
lemon or lime juice to taste

If you cant find the Spicy Ranch, you can add some chili powder and cumin to the regular.
Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl, except chips. When ready to serve mix in chips and pour on the dressing. Toss. Serve.

I hope to get a lot of new!!! Kim

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never done well on making salads, but then I haven't tried that much. Here at home, I usually take the easy way out and use a bagged salad. When I went to the market today though, I forgot to buy a bag. I'm thinking that the carrot and raisin salad will have to be sufficient for tomorrow's dinner. That's just for the salad part though, not the whole dinner. My wife makes an excellent salad.

Kya D

Cottage Cheese jello salad
1 pkg lime jello
1 pint cottage cheese
1 can drained crushed pineapple
1 carton 8oz cool whip
Put cottage cheese in a bowl, pour dry jello over c/c then mix in the drained pineapple,
mix well then mix in thawed cool whip.
Serve.
Keep in the fridge.

Kya D

Living where we do the cottage cheese is the factor that tells me whether I can make it. We are so far from a store that I have to make it right after a trip to town.
I live way out in the BOONIES it is 150 round trip to a gallon of milk or fresh fruit and veggies.

Jade

Living where we do the cottage cheese is the factor that tells me whether I can make it. We are so far from a store that I have to make it right after a trip to town.
I live way out in the BOONIES it is 150 round trip to a gallon of milk or fresh fruit and veggies.

Holy cow!!

plantlover

You have to drive 75 miles each way to get your groceries?

That's awful!

Here's a white bean salad:

small great northern white beans or Italian Canellini (sp) beans.... use 1 can, but I always double it.

3 or 4 green onions finely minced.

Fresh Italian parsley or fresh cilantro

Mix with salad dressing.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, White Balsamic Vinegar, Dijon mustard or Honey Dijon mustard. Blend all well together with a whisk and pour it over the beans.

I love to eat the beans with cottage cheese for lunch, but it makes a nice side dish, too!

richnkim

I've never done well on making salads, but then I haven't tried that much. Here at home, I usually take the easy way out and use a bagged salad. When I went to the market today though, I forgot to buy a bag. I'm thinking that the carrot and raisin salad will have to be sufficient for tomorrow's dinner. That's just for the salad part though, not the whole dinner. My wife makes an excellent salad.

Try the Mexican Coleslaw its good!! Maybe you can get some recipes from you wife!!!

richnkim

Cottage Cheese jello salad
1 pkg lime jello
1 pint cottage cheese
1 can drained crushed pineapple
1 carton 8oz cool whip
Put cottage cheese in a bowl, pour dry jello over c/c then mix in the drained pineapple,
mix well then mix in thawed cool whip.
Serve.
Keep in the fridge.

Hey Dawn, I love this one! Try it with instant pistacio pudding! Its good!

richnkim

You have to drive 75 miles each way to get your groceries?

That's awful!

Here's a white bean salad:

small great northern white beans or Italian Canellini (sp) beans.... use 1 can, but I always double it.

3 or 4 green onions finely minced.

Fresh Italian parsley or fresh cilantro

Mix with salad dressing.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, White Balsamic Vinegar, Dijon mustard or Honey Dijon mustard. Blend all well together with a whisk and pour it over the beans.

I love to eat the beans with cottage cheese for lunch, but it makes a nice side dish, too!

I will try it! Thanks, Kim

Jade

I started creating lots of my own salad recipes after making a lot from the online recipes. I made a nice one with greens, mandarine oranges and a nice white wine vinegrette for our dinner party last week. I am going to find that recipe and post it. I find that I love a little sweet with our salad. It had some toasted and candied almonds on top. The whole salad was gone. I wish we had done more.

plantlover

That's Watergate salad!

Instant pistachio pudding
crushed pineapple in its own juice
8 oz carton of cool whip
chopped walnuts
1 package of mini marshmallows

Dissolve the pudding in the liquid from the pineapple. Add the pineapple, and mix well. Add the cool whip, nuts and marshmallows and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate and serve cold!

Kya D

I'll try it. pistachio pudding sounds really good.
Thanks Kim.
I'm from UTAH green jello capital of the world.
Ms Susan YES 75 miles each way BUT it is 135 miles one way to get to a Wal-mart or a doctor. I will be going to the doctor in a few weeks so we will stock up then.
You just thought I was joking when I said I was just a country girl.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, Miss Jade, how did that party go? What did you wind up serving?

Miss Kya, I bet you don't get a lot of door-to-door salespeople. LOL

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Kim, I looked at that recipe and it looks pretty good. I only cook dinner once a week, so it is fun. My daughter cooks on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. My wife cooks on Monday and Wednesday, and I cook on Friday (tomorrow).

Kya D

We get the Schwans ice cream man but he is the only one.
I use to get a lot of credit card applications in the mail but when I started wadding everything up and stuffing it all back in the envy that they paid the postage on it only took a few weeks and all of that stopped too. :)

richnkim

That's Watergate salad!

Instant pistachio pudding
crushed pineapple in its own juice
8 oz carton of cool whip
chopped walnuts
1 package of mini marshmallows

Dissolve the pudding in the liquid from the pineapple. Add the pineapple, and mix well. Add the cool whip, nuts and marshmallows and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate and serve cold!

Yes it is! But I have made it without the marshmallows. You dont have to dissolve the pudding in the juice of the pineapple. I have made it by just adding the small pudding package to the cottage cheese, I drain the pineapple first and add pecans. Good both ways!

Try it also with orange jello and peaches. The possibilities are endless.

richnkim

Miss Kim, I looked at that recipe and it looks pretty good. I only cook dinner once a week, so it is fun. My daughter cooks on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. My wife cooks on Monday and Wednesday, and I cook on Friday (tomorrow).

Hey Randy, you have your chance!! Kim

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy do you just graze (eat leftovers) on Sunday?

Yes, but there are also days when there was too much grazing on Saturday so I keep a stash for such emergencies. LOL I keep a supply of soups, chili, frozen biscuits, etc. There is one HungryMan TV dinner that is not to far out on carbs and fats too that I try and keep a couple of them around. I know I have one in my refrigerator. Being diabetic, I can't just load up on sandwiches or cereals.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com