Tree loosing bark and rotting?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

I was at my folks house and my mom was having me look at her apricot tree. The tree is abot 3-4 years old. at the base of the tree were it meets the ground the bork is peeling away and it looks sorta like the tree trunk is rotting. I really dont know what is wrong with it and would love any advice. This same tree had problems last year with the leaves curling up. Thanks to anyone that can help.

RR

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like apest problem. Do you see dust at the base. Could be bores, termites or another pest.No to up on my fruit trees other than citrus. Some one will know for sure and check in with you.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was at my folks house and my mom was having me look at her apricot tree. The tree is abot 3-4 years old. at the base of the tree were it meets the ground the bork is peeling away and it looks sorta like the tree trunk is rotting. I really dont know what is wrong with it and would love any advice. This same tree had problems last year with the leaves curling up. Thanks to anyone that can help.
RR

Apricots and peach trees both suffer from fruit tree borers. It is species of moth that looks like a large wasp that lays it's eggs at the base of the tree. These hatch and burrow into the bark of the tree to the cambium layer where the larvae feed.
Fungi and bacteria develop and the barkd dies and peels off. You will also notice some amber looking residue which tells you where the borers are.
These pests really shorten the life span of stone fruit trees.
Here's a good site to learn about what you can do to save your tree.
http://www.basehorinfo.com/news/2008/jul/02/fruittree_borers_produce_problems_area_growers/

Last edited:

treeman

I think Crabby and Ron are on the right track.... the only other reason I can immediately think of is physical injury form contact with a lawnmower or weedeater string.

deck chucker

When I had my maples pruned I asked the guy about my miniature nectarine and peach trees. They both had this trouble. The nectarine was at the base. I've noticed that the scarring is a few inches above ground level now so I'll try the spray method mentioned in that article once the weather warms up a bit. There's a lot more buds on it although I'm not sure if that little peach is going to do much. It's only got 2 small branches, but it's trying so I'll let it go as long as it's trying. It had a Camaro slide over it about 6 years ago so it's a tough little thing! kids...........

R

RiverRock

That sounds like my moms tree..I noticed also that some of the branches have spots were there is a lot of thick sap, looks almost like honey. I am not sure why that is happening either. I want to try to save this tree if we can, it seems to be having a pretty rough go.

RR

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like my moms tree..I noticed also that some of the branches have spots were there is a lot of thick sap, looks almost like honey. I am not sure why that is happening either. I want to try to save this tree if we can, it seems to be having a pretty rough go.
RR

There is a way to help extend the tree's life, and that is by cutting out the damaged bark. You'll need a sharp knife, even an exacto knife would do for this job, and a short length of a metal coat hanger!
Start cutting where the bark looks dead and cut back to where the cambium layer is (that's the live part between the bark and the live wood)
You may find holes in the wood, so you can use the section of the coat hanger to stick into the holes to kill anything that is inside, usually the larvae!
Then you can start the pesticide treatment.
There is no need to cover this exposed wood as tghe tree will heal itself and grow around the damaged wood!
If there is damage further up the tree, you can cut around where you find the dried/or oozing sap! You will more then likely find one or more larvae feasting! Just cut back and clean the area out and examine the area for any tunneling. If there is, you can use the hanger to poke and clean out any tunnels.
This method will take time and the tree will recover as long as you use a recommended pesticide. Your tree will love you for the effort!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point, anytime will be good. The best time is while the tree is in active growth!

Bradeen

I have read about pests in above posts and feel good because people have information about how to remove pests.
If some one have more info about it please share it with us.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com