Snow coming...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FishinBC

Help Gang,

Most of my daylilies are up about 10 to 12 inches and look wonderful but we have up to 4 inches of snow coming tonight and tomorrow and temps below freezing. :confused: Should I cover everything and leave it covered till this mess passes and is gone? Peonies are up, astibles are up, bleeding hearts are blooming, hostas are up, salvia, cone flowers are peeking out. Dear me am I going to loose it all???

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Help Gang,

Most of my daylilies are up about 10 to 12 inches and look wonderful but we have up to 4 inches of snow coming tonight and tomorrow and temps below freezing. :confused: Should I cover everything and leave it covered till this mess passes and is gone? Peonies are up, astibles are up, bleeding hearts are blooming, hostas are up, salvia, cone flowers are peeking out. Dear me am I going to loose it all???

It is not a good idea to cover the plants because the weight of the snow on the cover will crush them.
The snow wont hurt any of your plants that are now up and growing.
Daylilies, peonies, hostas and the rest at pretty tough, and they can handle a few degrees of freezing!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not need any snow here!!! Hard to believe that Arkansas is getting snow this time of year!!!

plantlover

Amarillo Texas is getting upwards of 8 inches....The highway going between Amarillo and Santa Rosa California is partially closed. The entire Texas panhandle is getting pounded with a very heavy snow storm, the likes of which I'm not sure they've seen there in a very long time -- if ever.

And after a lovely 80 degree and sunny day, very strong winds brought a cold front in that will drop the night time temperatures into the 30's. I sure hope my Rose of Sharon, hibiscus and other things won't suffer.

Jade

what is this world coming to? I have seen an 11 degree rise in the last frost date for this area in the past 10 years, now snow in Texas. Yikes.
I am hoping to find a college nearby where I can take a course in environmental studies. I think that I am becoming a radical!! Husband will have to get rid of me. He is conservative, but I am getting him and the Volvo exec. involved in getting rid of the styrofoam plates and incorporating all of the recycling things that they know have to happen. Volvo is very aware and conscious of what needs to happen. It is the money thing right now...changing the cafeteria into dishwasher, etc. They all think that I am outspoken, but, hey, you have to believe in something and stick to your guns. I wanted to give a presentation to the exec. until I found out that I was at his house having dinner, ha. So, I made my speal, and he passed it on to the next guy down. (I like hubby's boss, he has been thoughtful to our situation)
Anyway, that is my rant for the day. Nothing to do with snow in Texas, I hope that your plants are fine. Sorry if I got out of control, but I think that we around the world need a united effort to get our environment back to where it should be before it is too late. I got my son into recycling, all it took was a few talks and showing him where the bins are at his apt. complex. Now he is hooked. It is just a habit, when I don't recycle everything possible I feel bad. Good Canadian Training there.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com