Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Randy, the oatmeal cookie recipe that I posted uses the Splenda and molasses, which is better. I made some of them the other night and used a dried fruit mixture that we get at the Winco store here. They were good and I don't feel bad about them. They are good with a cup of coffee.

I was thinking about all of the tomatoes that are going to come off, and I remembered the recipe that I posted using tomatoes with pasta. I can't remember what it is right now I will look.

richnkim

Spaghetti with Baked Summer Tomatoes

Here it is:

SPAGHETTI WITH BAKED SUMMER TOMATOES

Make less pasta if you prefer, and store the remaining sauce in the fridge for up to four days, or freeze it.

12 medium- to-large firm ripe tomatoes
3- 6 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ lbs. spaghetti
Black pepper to taste
1 Tbslp. butter
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 Tblsp. olive oil
½ cup grated Asiago or Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Halve the tomatoes widthwise and place cut-side up in the pan. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Combine 1/3 cup of the parsley with the oil and garlic in a small bowl; spread over the tops of the tomatoes. Bake until the tomatoes are lightly browned, about 1 hour. If the tomato skins are tough, remove them from the tomato halves with your fingers as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring gently, until it begins to turn golden brown and fragrant, about 1 minute. Immediately remove from the heat, stir to cool slightly, and pour into a warm serving bowl. Add the 12 skinned baked tomato halves, the basil, and the remaining parsley; coarsely mash. Add the cooked spaghetti and the cheese; gently toss to combine. Top with the remaining tomato halves and a drizzle with the pan juices. Serve hot or at room temperature. (8 pts. 1 cup spaghetti with ¼ cup sauce, plus 1 ½ tomato halves.)

I hope you enjoy it.

Jade

SPAGHETTI WITH BAKED SUMMER TOMATOES

Make less pasta if you prefer, and store the remaining sauce in the fridge for up to four days, or freeze it.

12 medium- to-large firm ripe tomatoes
3- 6 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ lbs. spaghetti
Black pepper to taste
1 Tbslp. butter
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 Tblsp. olive oil
½ cup grated Asiago or Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Halve the tomatoes widthwise and place cut-side up in the pan. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Combine 1/3 cup of the parsley with the oil and garlic in a small bowl; spread over the tops of the tomatoes. Bake until the tomatoes are lightly browned, about 1 hour. If the tomato skins are tough, remove them from the tomato halves with your fingers as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring gently, until it begins to turn golden brown and fragrant, about 1 minute. Immediately remove from the heat, stir to cool slightly, and pour into a warm serving bowl. Add the 12 skinned baked tomato halves, the basil, and the remaining parsley; coarsely mash. Add the cooked spaghetti and the cheese; gently toss to combine. Top with the remaining tomato halves and a drizzle with the pan juices. Serve hot or at room temperature. (8 pts. 1 cup spaghetti with ¼ cup sauce, plus 1 ½ tomato halves.)

I hope you enjoy it.
Here it is:Yum, that sounds good. I can't wait for real tomatoes.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made this ove the weekend and I was surprised that Tim really liked it which he hates squash. Anyway it's good with out the sour cream but that really adds something , you could use plain yougart or fat free sour cream.

Squash soup
3 boullion cubes
5 yellow squash sliced
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper diced
chives
Notice no salt or pepper???? ( you can use salt free boullion or stock)

crush the boullion in a soup pot. Add all veggies cover with water and boil untill soft. Run through a food processor, add water if needed to make a thick but flowing soup.
Serve with a dab of sour cream on top. This is almost like pumpkin soup but without the spices.

Jade

I am back in the mood to cook now after spending the past 6 weeks cleaning out the freezer. Now I am finding all kinds of really healthy new things to try. It kinda gave me a kick in the pants when we got our blood work back.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That will do it for sure.
We are back veggie, no salt very little fat. Lots of fish as usual will never give that up.

I like to take Ramen noodles and make soup but I add and egg and all kinds of veggie. a 1 cup serving will fill you up and is only 5 points on weight watchers. Makes a great dinner.

Jade

Hubby is down 6 pounds in 2 weeks. He even bought 70% fat free cheddar over the weekend. Where has my Bruce gone?, and who is this imposter? He is even using the fat free milk that I got in his cooking. I have cut about 90% of the carbs from our diet...now for dinner a protein, two veggies and sometimes fruit. I can't cut out all of the beef or he will go into shock and die. But cutting back is great for us. He isn't even complaining. I am not getting on the scale until my monthly cycle is done, I don't want to get depressed.
My upper right quadrant ultrasound was normal, now I have extensive bloodwork on the 15th of June...we will see if the diet has improved anything.
I just had Kashi 'Strawberry Fields' for breakfast. Now there is a novel idea, breakfast two days in a row. Yesterday fat free yogurt with fresh strawberries and flax meal, and today cereal. I gotta eat or my BP med makes me feel very strange.

richnkim

I have been eating alot of watermelon lately. It has been so hot that all I want to eat is cold foods. I am going to grill some tilapia for my dinner along with a sald tonight. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and I know that he will not be happy with me because I haven't been good.

I am trying to get back to eating oatmeal or cherrios for breakfast.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to eat more chicken than beef now. I'm eating less beef all the time. I like to grill chicken thighs and slice them for fajitas. I find that my cholesterol is going down. I like to think that it is because I eat a low fat diet.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
We eat less beef now than when we have in previous years. We eat lots and lots of vegetables. So glad my vegetable garden will soon be producing fresh vegetables straight from the garden.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jade,
Not sure how old Bruce is but I know this trip to the Dr changed Tim into a new guy who takes in to account the effects of everything. We have been married 27 years and of that 27 , 27 I have spent trying to vconvert him to Vegetarian. He came home one day and said I think we need to quit eating meat! when you are faced with you mortality you get a whole new view.;)

We use plain yougart for sour cream. It works well , takes a little time getting use to.

I love Edemame. Walmart has the 1lb frozen bags for $2.00

Jade

Bruce is 58, I am 48 and his health is better than mine, except for the high cholesterol. He has longevity in his genes...most of his relatives have lived well into their nineties. Now I am trying to figure out dinner for tonight, he has been eating leftover roast beef all week for lunch, and we have already had fish twice this week. Maybe chicken. Better figure it out soon though.
My grandfather died at 43, hardening of the arteries. My aunt had quaduple bypass surgery a few years back. I get my bad genes from that side of the family.
I have Edemame in the freezer, Edemame, chicken and cantelope, there we go, supper. I have some cukes in the fridge too, I can slice one of them up.

richnkim

I get a magazine "diabetic living" in the mail. My new one came yesterday. I was looking at it and I saw something in it that I would like to share. It is for a website that says you can get a free weekly e-newsletter.

Check it out:
hearthealthyliving.com

I went to the magazine online it is neat.

Last edited:

Jade

Kim, sometimes you gotta do something just for you. I would be an "almost" vegetarian if it weren't for hubby. The only thing that I would keep would be fish. He asked what was for supper tonight and I said Boca burgers, and I got 'that look', like gross! I actually like them with sauteed onions and peppers. I do get a hankering for a burger now and then and I like tacos with ground beef, and meatloaf, but he loves his good old english dinner of Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding. I don't know if I can break him of that. He makes it, so what can I say? I do eat a little roast beef if it is sliced thin. What happened to my beef gene?

richnkim

Jade, I am lucky. Richard loves vegetables but he wants to put all kinds of stuff on them. Although he will be good with some olive oil sprinkled on them. We both like meat but eat mostly chicken and fish. We do eat pork loin roast, and I use ground turkey for our burgers.

Jade

Last night we had poached cod, a tossed green salad and cottage cheese. I didn't mind that poached fish, hubby made it. He is on a real health kick. Glad that we are joining forces in this.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com