How are your Herbs growing?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
My herbs are mostly doing good. The oregano is still a good sized bush after I cut it back. It seems like it always needs to be cut back. I think I will slowly move the other plants somewhere else. They may do better if not overrun by the oregano. I think it was the snails that almost killed my sage. I need to get out and prune it up and see if it will come back.
My lemon balm is going to be overrun by the pineapple sage. Another one of those plants I planted a little close to other plants. I will probably move the lemon balm soon. I lost a daisy plant because my dog liked to christen it every morning. Had a talk with him but I don't think he listened.
I think the basil isn't growing enough but maybe cause the tomatoes by it are growing pretty tall.
the tarragon is huge also and the fever few is getting a little big for its spot. I had to tie it up as it was trying to spread into the grass and we need to keep the grass mowed.
I'm enjoying the lavender that is planted where we put the arbor. It has really come on this year.
My fennel is still growing and we have little ones all over the garden. I think that is good cause I like to smell it. The rosemary is huge. I had no idea that it could grow like that. In ks. it was a pot plant that I could never over winter. Now I have a plant that is going on 3 years old.
I have some rue just because I thought it was a cool looking plant. I have no idea what to do with it but let it grow.lol
there are other herbs out there but that is all I can think of now. I just like to go out and walk in the garden because it smells good.

Kya D

Lyn sounds like you are having a stampede everything is running over everything.
I should have those problems. There are only a few herbs that will winter over here

sunflower3

Mine are doing great oregano is huge this year, sage is blooming, chives both onion and garlic are being eatten by us, tarragon has expanded, parsely has been picked to dry,basil is drying now,chamomile is growing nicely as well as spearmint and mints (chocolate, lemon & reg) lemon balm is huge too. egyptian onions are doing there thing and my garlic and onions are growing, garlic is getting the spears on them. I love gardening.

Kya D

I grow the following herbs
oregano
thyme
sage
parsley
chives
multiplier onion
garlic
elephant garlic
feverfew
some mints
I think that is all.

latebloomer

My marjoram,lavendar,mints (chocolate,spearmint and apple),tarragon are all doing fine.
Rosemary,summer savory and basil.not so good.

sunflower3

Mine are doing great oregano is huge this year, sage is blooming, chives both onion and garlic are being eatten by us, tarragon has expanded, parsely has been picked to dry,basil is drying now,chamomile is growing nicely as well as spearmint and mints (chocolate, lemon & reg) lemon balm is huge too. egyptian onions are doing there thing and my garlic and onions are growing, garlic is getting the spears on them. I love gardening.

forgot about my dill which is going along slowly,thyme,african basil and veragated sage

swindy

Lyn be careful of the Rue, as some people are sussceptible to a bad contact dermaitis that they can get just brushing against it. It causes a blistering rash. Don't use it in foods as it can cause server sun burns after you eat it. My Herb book also says it should never be eaten by pregnant woman. It should only be taken internally in small amounts and only on the advice of a professional Herbalist.
Are your basil plants growing near the rue? the book says it slows the growth of basil, sage, cabbage and broccoli. I hope this helps --- I love my little Herb book

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swindy I've read that. It is out in the middle away from everything but the tarragon and fennel. I was telling my granddaughter that people who are allergic to it the leaves will burn them. She had to go and touch it. I will not be using it for anything but a cool plant to look at.
I think I forgot about my thyme. I have lemon thyme in a planter on the deck rail and then some planted by the stones in the garden. I like the smell of thyme. It grows well unless the grass gets in it. I have spent some time this spring getting the grass out of the thymes.
I think I grow the herbs more for the smell than anything else. I love to go out and walk through them.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my lemon thyme. It seems to be happy here.

Attachments

• P6080109.JPG
    P6080109.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 414

richnkim

My basil is great, 3 kinds and smells wonderful. I need to put my oregano in a larger pot because it is so slow.

Blueaussi

The feral Lemon basil is about to be weed wacked it's doing so well. The regular basil is growing great guns, too, but the Japanese beetles hit it pretty hard. The marjoram is doing well, too. The Mexican oregano is putting out new growth, but it looks so lanky I'm thinking about cutting it back hard. The Italian oregano looks great, but then it always looks great. The bay laurel is even showing new growth, I almost lost it this winter. The mint is, of course, running amok. I found a surprise patch of Thai basil in the midst of the feral lemon basil, so I pulled the lemon basil to give it more room, and it's doing really well, too.

With all the rain, the rosemary has some yellowing on the lower leaves, but that should correct itself as soon as it dries out a bit.

Someone gave me a really pitiful tangerine southwood, an artemisia, last year, and I stuck it in a pot with some daylilies. I really didn't think it would make it, it had been allowed to stand in water to the point that the soil smelled sour; but it's coming back. It's obviously not an pot herb, but it smells wonderful.

80stillgardening

In my region we have been having very odd seasons. Dry summers, wet falls and cold snowy winters. It has put a bit of a strain on my gardens so my yield is not at it's best. But then again I don't have as many mouths to feed now so there is definitely enough for me.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com