Camellia

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Camellias!! I only have a small pink bush but my brother has a large red one. Underneith his red one are two sprouts. Does anyone know when it would be the right time to dig a sprout? They are in full bloom now, it's the only outside bush that blooms in the winter here and I would love to have those 2 sprouts! They're mine for the digging but not sure when it's safe to transplant.

swindy

Gloria when I was in Calif I loved Camellias, they are such a beautiful shrub. Unfortunately they don't grow in my zone. I can't help you with the time to dig the sprouts but I wish you luck with them.

Blueaussi

The best time to root them is supposed to be late summer/early fall. I don't know if the same would hold for sprouts or not, though.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Camellias!! I only have a small pink bush but my brother has a large red one. Underneith his red one are two sprouts. Does anyone know when it would be the right time to dig a sprout? They are in full bloom now, it's the only outside bush that blooms in the winter here and I would love to have those 2 sprouts! They're mine for the digging but not sure when it's safe to transplant.

Let the sprout develop until the leaves mature. Then you can carefully dig and snip them from the parent plant! Check to see if there's roots before severing it from the parent! It not, wait!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wedgefield Plantation is about 30 miles from me and has the most beautiful trees and flower bushes including Camellia bushes, growing thickly in the 7 acre yard. They've had to of been there for ages as some are as much as 15 to 20 ft tall and in every color. I managed to get sprouts one year and potted them. Only one sprout managed to hang on and I babied it so... it now resides in my back yard but not as what I thought it was. Turned out that my Camellia was not a Camellia at all ..it was a Magnolia sprout and is now about 8 foot tall and growing strong.

Last edited:

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
we had many in CA and I have several out back...we have always moved the babies aftre th eblooms fall off...never lost a one...I may have babies under mine...i will have to look

Spider_Lily

I cut a few small branches from my brother's Camellia.Took about 4 inch piece's took off all leave's.Dipped in rooting powder put in potting soil sit pot in shaded area .Kept damp I have three that rooted.The only problem is their still small one has a big red bud on it.The plant's are almost 4 year's old now.Wish they would begin to grow taller.:)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what experience I've had with Camellias, they grow very, very slow. The one I purchased two summers ago, doesn't look as if it's grown any! Most sprouts I've found have been under bushes that are 10 ft and over so I'd say they are old before they produce sprouts. Maybe I need to do some research!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can also easily start cuttings. They are really easy to grow. Take a woody cutting on a 45* angle about 6 inches long. Strip all but the top set of leaves. Place in a sand pot, making sure that at least one joint of the cutting is under sand,I usuall leave only about 3 inches of the cutting out of the sand. It must not stay wet just damp so you must use sand. Keep it watered and in filtered light. With in a couple months it will be ready to plant. I use a liquid fertilizer ( compost tea) once a week to supply food.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
very good wa to start...but also...as with roses...putting them directly in the soil and cover with a jar over the winter...come spring you will have a baby bush/tree...
and I have to agree Gloria...they are very slow growing...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com