growing cuttings

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

hi all...ive never tried growing from cuttings and know little about the subject.......i was wondering if it is as simple as just cutting a branch off a plant and putting it in the soil or is there more to it? is there a certain plant part that must be cut?

Kya D

Some plants grow from cutting much easier than others.
So it depends what you are trying to start.
BTW Welcome to the site. Sure am glad ya stopped by.

Jade

Rosemary is a little tough, but if you can find some rooting hormone it isn't too bad. Just find a really light soil mix (i.e. ProMix), water it well beforehand. Dip your cutting, which should be about 2-3" long into the rooting hormone. I have started rosemary from the packs of herbs sold in the grocery store. Be careful not to overwater and keep in a bright area until you see it starting to perk up. You can mist it several times a day, but not at night, only when you know the leaves will be dry before dark.
Hope this helps a little, and welcome to the forum.

mocropot

Hi burningredphoenix, I agree with Kya D , she is absolutely correct. Regarding rosemary I just germinated some seeds with out any problem. I think it germinated in 5-6 days.
Some cuttings might be rooted even in water.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to our forum Burnie!
To add my two cents:
Follow Jade's directions;
Place pot and all into a large ziplock bag to create a greenhouse.
You will not need to worry about watering again until the cutting shows signs of growth!
Place the GH in a bright window, but not in direct sunlight!
Cutting should root in a week, or so!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've rooted Rosemary from cuttings too. It's faster than waiting for seeds..good advice from Jade and Ron. Welcome to the forums BRP.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I have also rooted rosemary from cuttings and it is not so rough ...way faster than seeds...

PRH

There is a product out on the market called: Superthrive. This product works as a root hormone and you can even use it on your other plants when you water. ( it's not a fertilizer,but it has something in it that really seems to work on plants of all types )

- Just my quarter dollars worth -
:D

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
you can also take bark from an weeping willow and boil it and then dip your cuttings in this and it works well also

Last edited:

Spider_Lily

you can also take bark from an oak tree and boil it and then dip your cuttings in this and it works well also

I have never heard of this we have a lot of oak tree's will have to try it.
I borrowed a few tiny limb's off a weeping willow tree.Dipped them in rutone and stuck them in potting soil .
I looked at them today they have tiny green leave's coming out.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I have never heard of this we have a lot of oak tree's will have to try it.
I borrowed a few tiny limb's off a weeping willow tree.Dipped them in rutone and stuck them in potting soil .
I looked at them today they have tiny green leave's coming out.

I am so very sorry I ment weeping willow...I will fix it in the first post as I do not want to put out wrong information...thank you for catching it...:(

Jade

I used to do tons of cuttings in the greenhouses where I have worked. Having heat mats and a constant temperature sure makes it a lot easier than doing it at home. My geranium cuttings from the fall weren't happy with me at all. Sure makes me consider putting in a little greenhouse, but I can buy a lot of plants for what a nice one would cost me.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have considered that too, Jade. But I justify the outlay by considering it a recreational expense. I also justify it by not playing golf. LOL

Jade

I have considered that too, Jade. But I justify the outlay by considering it a recreational expense. I also justify it by not playing golf. LOL

Ha Randy,
I hear you there! I do have other recreational expenses, but they are small. I think in our neighborhood we would have to get the township to give us the specifications on what would be considered acceptable. I know that they have regulations on fences...they can only be 4 feet tall. Now explain to me why the neighbor can put in a leyland cypress hedge that will get over 100 feet tall and that isn't a problem??? Ah, but that is another topic and a sore subject for me, so I will not worry about it until they come into my yard.
I did plant some marigold seeds yesterday from seeds that I saved from last year. I found some tomato seeds this morning in my "junk" drawer. I am still thinking that I am just going to buy a couple of 4 packs. I think that I have some pole bean seeds in that drawer, I will have to take a look.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jade, at our last house, we didn't have those restrictions, but I really didn't have the room for anything big, so I put in a coldframe by the back porch. It was really surprising how many plants I could put in something 3' x 4'. I had enough for myself and enough to give away quite a dew to friends.

Jade

Jade, at our last house, we didn't have those restrictions, but I really didn't have the room for anything big, so I put in a coldframe by the back porch. It was really surprising how many plants I could put in something 3' x 4'. I had enough for myself and enough to give away quite a dew to friends.

I could probably put a cold frame in without any restrictions, but I kinda was thinking a permanent structure where I could put a chair in the winter to help me get some sunshine and that good old promix smell that I love. But, that isn't in the budget unless I get myself a good job somewhere. It's hard to start as a newbie with no vacation time etc. So I will just be satisfied for right now as things are.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com