Genovese Basil Sprouts

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rocktrns

Ok about 4 days ago i planted some Genovese Basil Seeds,and now there sprouting. I realized that I have at least 50 sprouts,but i want to keep them all I tried transplanting 2 sprouts but the leaves just broke off so should I wait until they get bigger? I'm Planning on buying about 12 plastic plant pots and some dirt and then when they get bigger I will transplant atleast 2-3 sprouts per pot please tell me the next step I need to take. They are very crowded and I'm worried the crowdedness will stunt there growth when will be the right time to transplant the sprouts to there own containers?
These are close up pictures
2qipchj.jpg

20zdv88.jpg

These are far pictures from the same two pots

dzb4zq.jpg

ta24qg.jpg

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
The normal rule of thumb for re-potting is to wait until the second set of leaves come on. By then you will have a better root system too.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would just use potting soil and a 4" pot and separate them very carefully so as not to do any more root damage than I had to.

Dor

Welcome and hello Rocktrns.

Wait until they are larger and stronger and remove them with your fingers or a pencil and transplant them in the new pots.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Rocktrns,
Everyone has givene you great advice.
However it sounds like you could use some more to help you next time. First a couple questions
Your desire to keep all the babies , does it stem from just wanting them , or are the for sale or gifts?
Second, do you want to eventually plant them in the ground or simpley keep them in pots?

When planting seeds, plant no more than 2 seeds per a pot or plant "space".This insures you have a pot that is not over crowded yet, has a 50-50 chance of having a plant. When seeding in pots to repalnt , you should wait until the plant has good roots and a strong stem. Take a walk through your local garden center a just look at the plants offered for sale as bedding or veggie plants. You will notice most are root bound " roots growing out of the bottom of the pots". You would just pop the whole plant and root ball out and plant. There is a reason they wait that long to place them up for sale, They may not survive if it is done sooner. Sometime I will seed many plants in a large container for my deck. I like full bushy plants in pots. But there are draw backs to that method. It willl take you a few trials and errors to get your perfect style down. Don't give up, just learn from your mistakes!

rocktrns

Hi Rocktrns,
Everyone has givene you great advice.
However it sounds like you could use some more to help you next time. First a couple questions
Your desire to keep all the babies , does it stem from just wanting them , or are the for sale or gifts?
Second, do you want to eventually plant them in the ground or simpley keep them in pots?

When planting seeds, plant no more than 2 seeds per a pot or plant "space".This insures you have a pot that is not over crowded yet, has a 50-50 chance of having a plant. When seeding in pots to repalnt , you should wait until the plant has good roots and a strong stem. Take a walk through your local garden center a just look at the plants offered for sale as bedding or veggie plants. You will notice most are root bound " roots growing out of the bottom of the pots". You would just pop the whole plant and root ball out and plant. There is a reason they wait that long to place them up for sale, They may not survive if it is done sooner. Sometime I will seed many plants in a large container for my deck. I like full bushy plants in pots. But there are draw backs to that method. It willl take you a few trials and errors to get your perfect style down. Don't give up, just learn from your mistakes!

I plan on keeping them all for gifts and my self well are you shore they will continue growing in there pot now?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
The key is to not wait too long but just long enough that they can survive the transplant. I say when they are about 2 inches tall with true leaves. They are way too fragile to move now.

rocktrns

Alright I just got some organic potting soil and i had about 3 extra pots and i took the sprouts only with 2 sets of real leaves and transplanted them in the new pots 4 sprouts per pot I have to get more pots for the other sprouts that haven't developed 2 true leaves yet.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com