HELP & pond info...please

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SandiB

Until my plants around the outside of our pond grow & get a little more height & fullness our pond is in sunlight most of the day which = algea.
We do have 2 fish (goldfish & coi) 2 snails & 2 algea eaters (who aren't this hungry)!!
2 questions:
Suggestions for how to/good product to get rid of algae?

AND..anyone have pond plants willing to share for postage? We do have a few..but more would help shade pond.

THANKS
♥ SandiB

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a few safe products available such as barley that you put in an expandable bag. It releases peroxide as the barley rots which takes some time! So, an easier product would be barley extract, which does the same thing quickly, and stains the water brown to reduce sunlight reaching the bottom of the pond!
Then there's water lilies, the floating leaves reduces sunlight!
Or, you can simply get used to the algae! A certain amount is necessary for the pond and water life.

Kya D

Sandi go to the feed store to get a bag of barley it is a lot cheaper there than other places.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Sandi,
I have papua which looks kind of like mini bamboo but has a little umbrella leaf on the tip of the stems. I'll get a pic this weekend and post for you to see if you want it. I was just looking at mine last night thinking I needed to divide it. ;) I sent some to someone else but can't remember who if they read this let us know how it's doing for you.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Sandi,
I have papua which looks kind of like mini bamboo but has a little umbrella leaf on the tip of the stems. I'll get a pic this weekend and post for you to see if you want it. I was just looking at mine last night thinking I needed to divide it. ;) I sent some to someone else but can't remember who if they read this let us know how it's doing for you.

A photo would be nice Nancie!

kinnika

Sandi if you put 1 cup of white vinegar for every 100 gallons of water you will destroy the algae and it will not hurt your plants. IMPORTANT!!!!! Mix the vinegar in a 5 gallon pail with the pond water then put it into your pond away from any plants. DO NOT just pour it in the pond by it's self. Oh yes and it will not hurt the fish either. I have done this for years and have never had a problem.

SandiB

Hi Sandi,

Would love to see a pic of your papua Crabber :) please & thank you. And be tickled to send postage when ya do divide.

Still dealing w/ algae problem... need a trip to the pond shop who suggests algae-fix. Will get there soon to check that out. Mean time...I came up w/idea to cover a sheet of lattice (4x8) w/landscape screen & holding it up w/two 5 ft pipes in front and leaning on back rocks to shade some of the area. Will have to take a pic & show yas.

The fish (Dash & Dart) eat from DH & Shane's fingers..growing & earning their name. OHHH we have a frog visitor too!
:cool:

SandiB

Sandi if you put 1 cup of white vinegar for every 100 gallons of water you will destroy the algae and it will not hurt your plants. IMPORTANT!!!!! Mix the vinegar in a 5 gallon pail with the pond water then put it into your pond away from any plants. DO NOT just pour it in the pond by it's self. Oh yes and it will not hurt the fish either. I have done this for years and have never had a problem.

THANKS Kinnika..appreciate the info. Vinegar is great! Its on my shopping list. :)

SandiB

Do it ourselves pond shade :)

Attachments

• Pond Shade.jpg
    Pond Shade.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 402
  • pond sun.jpg
    pond sun.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 411

SandiB

Cool idea Sandi!
Is that pressure treated lattice?
It might pose a problem for your fish!

The lattice is not in the pond it is over it just as pictured. Leans on rocks in back & held up in front by poles.
Problem for fish how?

Learning everyday.....

Thanks.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paupa

We are in the process of rearranging the court yard and I have my pots just stuk in a corner of the small pond but it is the palnt that is about 4 feet tall and is toward the top of the picture

Attachments

• Paupa.jpg
    Paupa.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC03541.jpg
    DSC03541.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 418
B

BelleFlower

That's great your starting your pond as far as pond plants go there are some that i think are lovely like the Beard Tongue and The Red Cardinal Flower. I gather all my gardening plants from an online based in Tennessee where everything is locally grown which is great.

Good Luck with everything :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com