Recent content by Captainobvious

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Captainobvious

New spring blooms for 2011

Maggie- where did you get that Camellia and do you know the exact species? I would love to pick up some of that ! :eek:
  2. Captainobvious

Pics of the garden

Yup its back up in droves...time to do some pulling...ugh. On the bright side, my rose bush has easily doubled in size and some of the shrubs are looking better. I'll get some pics after my next bout of yard work. ;)
  3. Captainobvious

Getting close!

Yup, these in my post got to about 4-5' tall. They really do catch the eye not only with their height but the flowers are extremely vibrantly colored. I remember seeing them from a distance when I woul dbe in the car and approaching the house. Good luck with yours ! :)
  4. Captainobvious

Various pretties

Everything looks terrific Mel ! Im liking your Lillies, they look nice.
  5. Captainobvious

Getting close!

Okay, I'll stake them this week. Especially seeing as how they are starting to bloom ! Figured you guys would like these... (I'll take more once they are fully blossomed)
  6. Captainobvious

Getting close!

We planted a bag of "mystery" bulbs in spring. They were a mystery because we forgot to label them :o They look like Gladiolus to me :) And they are getting close to blooming by the looks of it. Wish the lillies were planted sooner so they would be close too. Should these be supported with...
  7. Captainobvious

Pics of the garden

bummer! Thanks for the post Ron. After looking at this site ( http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/feature_articles/vines/vine_weeds.html#Hedge_bindweed ) I figured it might be some Wild Buckwheat or Hedge Bindweed. I was thinking Wild Buckwheat as I havent seen any flowers on this stuff...
  8. Captainobvious

Suggestions for temporary partial shade

Thank you both. Hopefully after some time to establish a solid root system, these wont need much sun protection. Seeing as how I'm in zone 6a they *should* be able to handle full sun. I'm thinking 4-8 weeks or so with the shades and they should probably be doing pretty good. We will likely...
  9. Captainobvious

Pics of the garden

In the back of this picture you'll notice a vine type weed growing up and out around the window right behind the plants. This stuff is coming up all over in various spots of the front garden bed. It basically overtook an old azalea that was previously in the front (which I dug up and moved) and...
  10. Captainobvious

Here are the quick pics. Made one for the Hydrangea in the front as well. Yesterday we had temps in the 90s and today with heat index it should feel over 100. Eeeeek. Glad I put these in! Oh, and I dead headed the Hydrangea that was looking bad. Figured it will need to focus its energy on...
  11. Captainobvious

This is the end goal, long term solution . We'd like to plant a tree (probably next year) to add some shade to the yard. :)
  12. Captainobvious

Well, moving it again might be bad as well. I did come up with a solution though :) I picked up some wooden 36" stakes and some "sun shade" screen door material and made some temporary shades. They are about 32" x 32" and are stretched right above the Hydrangeas. I figure it will help to...
  13. Captainobvious

The Hydrangeas I recently planted are getting baked by the hot sun we've had here recently. Since they are more fragile after first planting, I wondered if any of you might have any quick-fix suggestions for giving a little sun protection during the day? Maybe a square frame elevated above it...
  14. Captainobvious

Lilac Bushs

My mother gave me a small Lilac bush in a good sized planter pot. Some nice looking lilacs there...
  15. Captainobvious

Pics of the garden

Bummer on the "red" hydrangea :( Hopefully mine will retain the color they have now. Time will tell... Thanks !! Its a start. This is our first year planting so I wanted to start with a base of some shrubs in the back yard to sort of enclose it a bit and give the yard some boundaries...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com