Recent content by Kokabel

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. K

Terracotta Containers

Yes it does. I've noticed as I've been using them. I have some plants in a sealed terra cotta container I got (I'm not sure with what, but it has been painted and retains moisture almost TOO well o_o). But I have to water them very often. So, I think they're wonderful for plants that like...
  2. K

Pea Problems

First of all, I'm growing in pots on a first level apartment building on a cement slab. I thought I would get some light in the evening, but as it turns out I get no direct light at all on my north-facing slab. When I realized that I realized my chances of a successful garden just plummeted...
  3. K

Advice on planting Mint

Is chocolate mint as invasive as others? I have my peas in a pot with a teepee-style trellis, which means there's a lot of soil in the base going to waste. I've been considering putting mint, thyme, or oregano in the base but haven't yet done the research to see how well they'd work together, or...
  4. K

curious about what you are curious about

Lol good one Rockhound! Honestly, there are two questions I'm always googling and trying to find out. 1. What are the root depths of different plants? I can collect information, but I've never found a list or chart of plant generics and their root depth/requirements. I'm forced to exclusively...
  5. K

Terracotta Containers

Thanks for the thoughts. I decided to go ahead and soak them in my tub. I'm glad I did because I underestimated how much these pots will absorb! There's almost always a ring around the edge of my pot of dry soil because the pots sucked it out. At least they'll never get water-logged xD
  6. K

Making your own inexpensive potting mix

I have a sister with Guinea pigs, will they work? xD
  7. K

earliest I've ever started

My peas are in pots inside, and are doing amazing so far xD. I really want to see pictures! It sounds like you have a really nice plan laid out. I wish I could be that organized o_o. What zone do you plant in? Because I desperately want to get things outside, but I live in such a cold climate I...
  8. K

Terracotta Containers

I decided to go ahead and get some Terracotta containers to start out a few of my cooler weather crops in soon. I did a little reading, and there are a lot of comments saying that they should be soaked before use because they're so porous. Is this entirely necessary? I'm a little worried because...
  9. K

Making your own inexpensive potting mix

Great link. It gave me a lot more confidence about my choice to use peat moss and manure nearly purely for my pots. But now I'll add some perlite, lime, and epsom salts. :) Although I wish I had access to horse manure, I can only get my hands on that bagged steer manure sold in chains- I got...
  10. K

New! From South Dakota

Thanks for the Welcome! Micro salads are a great idea. I thought I'd start with some basics to see how it goes and keep adding. If they do well that would be spectacular. Fresh salad is wonderful, lol. Thanks Trax. I'll be waiting to see how your potatoes do in containers too. That was...
  11. K

really need help with beans

I'm in a very similar situation to you, seedaddict. I'm in South Dakota in a similar zone and have to use containers- but still going to try out some beans. I picked the Scarlet Runner variety after a little research- From what I understood it seemed to handle heat well (which we can get waves...
  12. K

New! From South Dakota

Hi all! I just started an account here after ending up on a few helpful threads after googling. I'm 25, living in a small apartment (but with a little outdoor cement flat) and decided to try to grow as many veggies as I can for myself and my SO. I grew up in Southern Ohio and over the past...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com