Recent content by Rebecca

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. R

When can I move a small shrub?

Thanks so much for all of the replies and info, I decided to leave the sandcherry and move a newly planted young peony instead. The hydrangea looks lovely, and the peony is much happier in it's new home. It's been very hot lately, but after doing a bunch of planting over the weekend, it's...
  2. R

Thanks for the replies, I agree, the sandcherry might be too established for a mid season move. But what's your opinion on moving newly planted shrubs (or perennials for that matter)? I generally use the rule of thumb that anything in the ground for less than a month or so is reasonable to...
  3. R

I have a 2-3 year old Purpleleaf Sandcherry that I'd like to relocate. Is it safe to do so any time (I'm in Zone 3)? It's about 3' tall/ 2' wide, I would be sure to dig a large root ball, and water well for the rest of the season. Waiting til fall or spring might be difficult, since may be...
  4. R

Hydrangeas & Soil Conditions

I just purchased a beautiful Kyushu Hydrangea, but have no experience with Hydrangeas. I'm in Zone 3, but many zone 4 plants grow well here. The soil is somewhat alkaline, and I read that they prefer acidic soil. Will mixing in some peat moss be sufficient? Thanks. :)
  5. R

Fast growing annual vine

Another vote for the black eyed susan climbing vine, I think they're stunning, grow quickly & flower well. :)
  6. R

When to divide perennials?

I have a bed that needs some heliopsis & shasta daisies divided. Have I missed the boat til next year, or is there a time in this growing season that I can still divide them? Also, there seem to be a lot of self seeded babies that are just coming up, I assume those are safe to move any time...
  7. R

Will my daffodils recover?

Thanks for the replies, I'm in Zone 3 (trying to add it to my signature). I usually do wait til the leaves are dead, but since I was planning on adding new ones this fall I didn't wait this year. Now I've changed my mind....:(
  8. R

Will my daffodils recover?

My daffodils finished blooming a few weeks ago, and I had planned on replacing them this fall (I thought they needed to be replaced every few years but have since read otherwise). I cut the leaves off, since I wasn't worried about nourishing the bulbs, and planted some annuals and perennials in...
  9. R

Need a shrub

Not sure what zone you're in, but I just bought a My Monet Weigela, it's suppose to be 20-24 inches x 2ft at max size. There are a few others (such as Midnight Wine) that also stay small. I also have a Dwarf European Cranberry, which I love, it's max size is 2ftx2ft, and it's a lovely dense...
  10. R

New shrub about to flower, should I wait to plant?

Hello! I was looking for a gardening BB and this looks like a friendly place, so here I am. I just purchased a Mockorange 'blizzard', and it's getting ready to flower. Since plants tend to be a little shocky for a few days after transplanting, I was wondering if I should let it flower in...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com