Recent content by rick54

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. R

Storing Cabbage

Ron, you asked about the frost line. I think 18" is pretty typical, which means that that below that is what the ground stays year round. I'm thinking that's somewhere around 52 F, I'm not sure. Let me back-up to the barrel construction a moment, my cold air intake for the cabbage, I'd place a...
  2. R

Storing Cabbage

Ron, I wouldn't think the frost would be any further than 18". I would put them on the south side of the barn and cover them with straw in the fall. I could then pick up the straw in the spring and put it on my wine top mushroom pile.
  3. R

Hello from Michigan

Hello to all, My wife and I are located in western Michigan, zone 5b, where we have lived all our lives. We maintain a big garden in the summer as well as a raspberry and blackberry patch that the deer also love. My other hobbies include bread making as well as sausage making. This spring I'd...
  4. R

Storing Cabbage

Okay Ron, let me back-up a moment and hit this from a different angle. Since the $10,000 custom root cellar is out and the above ground apple box in the pole barn seems to have some inherent flaws. I do have access to food grade plastic barrels which appear to be in the 40-50 gallon...
  5. R

Storing Cabbage

Ron & Flower, thank you for your replies. Granted, we are having one of the coldest winters in many years that might tend to make one think that something in an unheated barn would freeze. Yet in my searching on cabbage storage, I've found that it's best to keep it stored down close to 32. I was...
  6. R

Storing Cabbage

I was wondering if anyone could tell me or direct me to a good cold storage method of storing cabbage through the Michigan winter months? Every fall the wife and I make several crocks of sauerkraut, where we purchase several bushels of cabbage from our local farm market for this task. I...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com