Recent content by rockhound

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. R

Help, does anyone know what this is?

If the roots are yellow or if those tops make a reddish-brown seed, it's not Horseradish but Dock.
  2. R

What's the weather in your area? 2013 Edition

The weather is starting to settle in here in TN z7 to some pretty good gardening days. Most everything is in, just watching for bugs. Lots of tomato and pepper blooms, some fruit setting. Blackberries have made a great crop, still green.
  3. R

garden 2013

My garden consists of containers, some 18-gal totes and some 5-gal buckets, all with generous drainage holes and all sitting on double 2x4's arranged like a train track. This track lets the drainage flow good and reduces slugs, etc. Tomatoes and peppers are all I'm growing so far except for one...
  4. R

What's the weather in your area? 2013 Edition

Frost scare here in middle TN last nite, only got to 38 deg. I gambled on it and won. My pepper plants will no doubt be insulted and sit around a couple/3 weeks before they grow any. Oh well, if that's the worst that happens to them, ....
  5. R

Starting Annual Seeds schedule for up coming Growing Season

Yeah don't be tempted to plant on a warm day in Jan., lol. I have done that and had tomato plants flopping all over the kitchen by April 1, still 2-3 weeks before I can set them out.
  6. R

Summer Flowers

Beautiful flowers and nice photography! Thanks for the pick-me-up. :)
  7. R

seed catalogs

A few days ago I got a Pinetree Seeds catalog in the mail. Expecting a few more before the end of the year. Sadly, one company I deal with has gone over to all-internet, that is, no printed catalog. I won't be dealing with them any more unless they get in something rare (and cheap), LOL. Do you...
  8. R

Green tomatoes

I slice mine and dip in egg wash, then roll in cornmeal mix and fry on medium heat.
  9. R

Angel Trumpets

I like the Brugmansias too. At one time I had 2 varieties of yellow, a white one and a pink. The pink did the best, giant of a thing. Don't have room for them now but thanks for the memories :)
  10. R

Spider Mites

Good advice. Even after treating, I go back and re-do the soap at one- and two- week intervals to try and kill off hatching eggs. Good luck and keep your eyes peeled, once you've had spidermites, they can come back at any time.
  11. R

Been away.....

Welcome back! I don't know you well, but I know what's it's like to be too sick to garden, BTDT. I also am doing a little more these days and I hope you can get out and collect seeds for next year. Makes a body feel good to have lots of seeds, doesn't it?
  12. R

The World History of Climate Change

Good explanation, trax. It's just by luck that we live in the times we do now. Not really so strange that we think of the present as normal, usual or "the way it should be". It's all we know.
  13. R

Lastest blooms in my garden

Can't seem to find the thread now about pruning petunias. I just want to thank whoever posted it. I have 4 pots and all are leggy in this heat so I cut one back to about 1/3 as long on each stem. That has been less than 2 weeks ago and where it had no blooms when I finished pruning, it now has a...
  14. R

Suprise Lily and more

The surprise lilly's are blooming now in our neighborhood. I don't have any but I know where they will pop up, still catches me off guard sometimes. Nice shade of pink.
  15. R

Cardinal Climbers Help

If you'll add your zone it will improve the usefulness of replies to your questions. Or at least a hint, are you in the arctic or equator, etc. They should be flowering like crazy now IF you were in zone 7-8.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com