Recent content by Stone_Family3

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Stone_Family3

Pumpkin Question

So we are considering doing a 12ft x 12ft section of our front yard in pumpkins next year. About how many pumpkin plants could we plant in that space? About how many pumpkins do you get per plant? Thanks in advance.
  2. Stone_Family3

Compost Tea?

so pretty much no one uses compost tea?
  3. Stone_Family3

Don't know if I'm in the right section but I have a peonies problem

My DH bought me some little peonies plants two years ago. I planted inthe front yard. They've yet to get more then 6 inches high and 6 or seven inches round. My mom bought from the same company, does less work then me and they are huge every year. The first year my husband ran them over at the...
  4. Stone_Family3

Make a rain barrel easy!

Ours did great last year and the year before. They were open type barrels so we acutaly had to band them back on, It was great having water in the spring this year when we had that small drought....lol.
  5. Stone_Family3

Compost Tea?

I heard that spraying it on you're plants helps with the prevention of disease and pests. That is why I am so interested in it. Also I've seen some videos of those who use it compared to those who have not and it looks pretty convicing. That is why I am asking for opinions because I want to know...
  6. Stone_Family3

Compost Tea?

So I'm planning a big tomato bed next year and want to try compost tea. Aside from a couple of youtube vids and a few articles I've read I don't know much else and would like some opinions. How much better did your plants do? Did you use it on tomatoes? Do you dilute it or just use it...
  7. Stone_Family3

What's the best way to get Acorns to Sprout?

DD is wanting to make acorns sprout just like in My Neighbor Totoro. Is there a good way to make them sprout? Would they grow okay in a bucket until they are big enought to transplant? Thanks
  8. Stone_Family3

Mulch?

We usually shread the papers and just mix them in the compost. We just let our compost naturally do its thing. I don't do alot of turning and stuff. We also have rabbit poop in our compost which I hear is excellent for plants. Our rabbit poops alot so our plants should do marvelous...lol.
  9. Stone_Family3

Mulch?

I didn't think about using newspaper. I actually deliver the paper so I could use that. Plus we have lots of grass clippings usually. Maybe I can use a mixture of Paper/Grass and Straw. I don't mind if it seeds on me. I just don't like using wood and straw is pretty cheap....lol. People are...
  10. Stone_Family3

Planting Tomatoes in the ground, setup help

I looked at "building tomato cages" on google and we have everything we need right in our shed! So I was thinking of just building the round ones out of wire and then use something like tent stakes and stake them into the ground or since we have 3+ foot tall rolls just bury some of it and then...
  11. Stone_Family3

Mulch?

Some of the websites I read said that tomatoes love warm soil so I can mulch to keep heat in and also to keep moisture in. Do you think that regular straw would be a good mulch? If not what do you recommend? This will probably be tilled up in the fall in order to plant some other type of...
  12. Stone_Family3

Thanks. I'm going to be running soaker hoses into the garden bed to make sure they will have plenty of moisture.
  13. Stone_Family3

So when you plant tomatoes do you just plant them and put the cage around them and let them grow into the cage? We are doing a very large tomato patch next year. 14'x 14-16' It will be nothing but tomatoes. So I am trying to gather up cages now. But are cages the best thing to use? I was...
  14. Stone_Family3

Two Random Plant ID's needed please

My DH said that his older brother by about 12 years got ahold of some bitter nightshade and ate it when he was a toddler and they had to take him to the hospital, he was fine. DH suspected it was nightshade but wanted me to find out for sure. It does amaze me. I will probably get out there...
  15. Stone_Family3

Two Random Plant ID's needed please

thanks the first one appears to be bitter nightshade. I will have to find some way to remove it is in a pile of brush. I did tell my daughter they were yucky berries and not to touch them. So far she has listened. Even on the computer she pointed to them and said "yucky berries." The bottom...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com