Living fences

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What would be your ideal living fence?

Fences make good neighbors has been a saying for as long as neighbors have lived side by side.
However, some fence options are restricted by HOA's or county and city ordinances.
Even though I personally have never lived under those types of restrictions, I have been fond of living fences and boarders, even when conventional fences are in tact.
The options for plant boarders are endless from hedges, trees and flowering shrubs.
I personally like something that fits in with existing natural environments.
I planted ginger and banana trees along my fence line, even though i have no neighbors adjacent to my property. Living in Florida this offers me a 12 ft plus high screen , that is dense and beautiful.

1587865289406.png

20200418_163146.jpg

20200418_163211.jpg

20200418_163254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
You make it look so easy Crabbergirl. I unfortunately live with HOA rules. They came by and informed me that no vegetables were alowed in the front yard. All I did was put up a lattis border around a flower bed to try to keep my spiderwort and asters from falling all over the grass.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Love the fences! Could you please rotate your photos so they can be viewed upright! :)

Not her fault Ron, the forum is being weird about phone photos. I think I may have found a fix though.

In any case, I've rotated these, but there's no easy way to do it on the forum.

Last edited:

bob

Administrator
Staff member
You make it look so easy Crabbergirl. I unfortunately live with HOA rules. They came by and informed me that no vegetables were alowed in the front yard. All I did was put up a lattis border around a flower bed to try to keep my spiderwort and asters from falling all over the grass.

I would never buy a place that had a HOA. I’ve heard so many horror stories. There’s lots of good stuff about them, but all it takes is some power hungry guys to make it bad.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Lyn. Those ginger, came from an old homestead in the 50s in St. Augustine. My mom dug a clump and took home. When I got my first house, I dug some of hers. Each time we have moved i have taken a clump with me. These particular ones, have been here 22 years. I am currently digging clumps and moving them to a new home site. Both of my kids have some of these at their homes. So I guess they could be called heirlooms.
I couldn't live in an HOA. I hear so many horror stories. I am so eclectic that I would always be in trouble😜

jeff7wb

RonsGarden, sorry, I'm still planning everything and making a renovation of my backyard as well :) As soon as I would make it - I will share pictures.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com