Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Markymark

Seed Density for 1020 trays (microgreens)

So I'm in the works for pushing microgreens into the farmers market, and I'm really getting my backyard setup for a nice urban farm. I'm wanting to produce 150 lbs of microgreens every 2 weeks. Just to give you an idea - I've got 100 1020 flats, 5 lbs of sunflower black oil seeds, 2 lbs of peas...
  2. Markymark

Plant ID: Type of squash/pumpkin and other plant

I'm not sure if this is a type of melon or pumpkin (I didn't have this type of pumpkin growing last year, so I doubt it's a pumpkin and would presume it's a melon as I did try to grow those last year). These melons are self planted, I remember throwing my water melons out in the yard (rotten...
  3. Markymark

Help me Id this plant

I remember chucking a bunch of seeds into this bed, and well something came up really well. If you know what this is help me out, I'm planning on pulling them all out as I want to throw some tomatoes up here in stead (possible). I tasted the leaves and it wasn't to my liking...
  4. Markymark

Mints - Yeah yeah!

I have an isolated bed and I just dehydrated some lemon balm and after realizing how much I liked processing it so I can brew a hot tea, I was thinking of going wild. It's a 2 foot by 8 foot bed that is isolated from the others and am not worried if they populate the bed heavily. These are what...
  5. Markymark

Edible companion plants for Blueberries?!

Reading many posts and different forums really didn't give me a good enough lead besides: Melastomas and rhododendrons (which are not edible). Melastomas appear from what I'm reading to be a tropical plant. The reason I want to companion plant is because there is a lost of unused space around...
  6. Markymark

Utilizing obvious space!

I was at work and was thinking for a second the biggest wasted space that I really can't do much with is? My garden entrance! So I was sitting there thinking for a second and this is what struck me. The door really couldn't serve a purpose for a large plant like a tomato so I thought that this...
  7. Markymark

My 2 day custom bird cage

So was tired at looking at $60+ for a cage of this size, so I thought with all the scraps I've got laying around let's see what I can do. Cost of the cage $30 - staples, 1/4" hardware cloth, 1 3/4" dowel rod, and 1 lb of drywall screws. Designed it so I have a removable roof, ample sized cage...
  8. Markymark

Bat houses

Found this interesting article here. I was thinking of building a bat house and so I've been considering a way to collect the guano. Does anyone have an opinion on it? I was thinking next season I'll be doing my own composting and I figured composting the guano in with it would be a great idea...
  9. Markymark

Any tips on heated compost?

I bought some compost from a local place and the compost is nice dark and rich colored but it's still warm. Like it isn't hot enough to really burn but I suspect it's around 110F or less. I'm wondering how long I should wait to plant in the beds with them. I've taken two packs of seeds, radishes...
  10. Markymark

Time for indoor plant starts?

Was at walmart this morning and they've already got the tomatoes and mints out for sale. I'm wondering if I should start my plants as March 17 is the estimated date that I'm seeing. Wondering if starting them month and a ½ early is too soon (I haven't done starts before)?
  11. Markymark

Grape Pruning questions assistance (pictures)

So I pruned my grape tree to go up my Pergola and I'm going to admit first hand that I AM NO EXPERT on pruning anything. I'm also aware that single stem pruning for a grape tree will give it the feel of a trunk, well after further investigation of my grape tree it has 3 trunks coming out of the...
  12. Markymark

11.5 lb cauliflower - what do ya think?

So my Cauliflower started looking like it was spreading out a bit so I went ahead and cut it off. I used a hack saw to remove it from the stem. Here's a picture for ya (comparison to that of a quarter)
  13. Markymark

Cheap idea for a fun planter!

This is a youtube video (what I want you to see starts around 1 minute and 14 seconds 1:14) showing what I'm gonna make with alternative and cheaper materials also better looking haha! Who doesn't love vertical planters! I thought this would be cheaper than PVC, wont last quite as long but...
  14. Markymark

Giant Strawberries (questions)

So has anyone tried growing these Strawberries? I'm trying to decide if I want to grow them as I'm most interesting in the white type of strawberries as I've read birds tend to leave them alone as they don't ever "appear" to be ripe. But these are just so cool I was thinking they may be fun to grow.
  15. Markymark

Largest seedless Grape

I need another variety of grape and I want a dark purple/black LARGE BERRIE type. Google is failing me, it keeps on showing me the worlds largest wine producers which I don't care about. So anything sounds good, I live in California so I'm pretty sure any grape grows around here. So thanks for...
  16. Markymark

Ways to protect a raised bed cheaper

So in this picture I show the raised beds (the black color). I'm trying to decide what I want to put at the bottom to keep Pocket Gophers out (we have tons around here). I used hardware cloth in my other beds, but that stuff is just too dang $$. So I'm trying to think of good alternatives like...
  17. Markymark

Paint or Stain a pergola

So I'm gonna be building a Pergola pretty soon, I have some salvaged 4x4x10s and I've just got pressure washing them, there was a bit of water rot on them, but I plan on sanding everything smooth. I was kinda thinking it would make a nice rustic type of looking Pergola. All the wood I have used...
  18. Markymark

Upcoming Spring Planting

I posted my list for comments etc, plus I think it's great to share the varieties one is growing because the colors of fruits/veges I've never seen before is just amazing too me. This so far is what I'm gonna be planting for my up coming season (I know some may be fruit so I apologies, I just...
  19. Markymark

Question about arbor for grape vine

I've got a question for building an arbor (not the structure itself). So I have a grape tree that's probably working on it's 3rd year, and to be honest I have a really poor structure (improper staking etc) around it. I was thinking about installing a nice arbor and planting a 3 additional grape...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com