Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. A

Magnolia Jane Odd Fungus

Hello! I have this wonderful Magnolia Jane bush that has been thriving for 7 years. It is still doing well, but recently I noticed these odd seemingly fungal growths on the bare stalks near its base. The growths peel off easily and don’t seem to be doing any lasting damage. However, I am worried...
  2. A

Ornamental Evergreen Issues

I purchased and planted a small weeping ornamental evergreen tree in late April 2021. It has done pretty well, putting out a surprising amount of new growth for an evergreen, but is starting to get brown on a concerning amount of branches (see attached picture). Is this something to worry about...
  3. A

Mystery Ornamental Grasses

I have been looking for grasses like these (see picture attached) for a while and just saw them in a store parking lot. Any idea what kind of grasses these are? This picture was taken in early June in eastern PA.
  4. A

Dwarf Alberta Spruce Brown New Growth

I have a fairly large dwarf alberta spruce that was purchased and planted in early April 2021. It seems to have done well in its location, in which it gets afternoon sun in PA’s zone 6. It put out a ton of new growth as spring finished out. However, a decent amount of that new growth has turned...
  5. A

Autumn Flowering Cherry Revival

I have an autumn flowering cherry tree that was originally planted in spring 2017. I transplanted it to a different spot in the same bed in September 2020. Unfortunately, I did not properly transplant enough of the root structure and all of the leaves fell off a week after transplanting. I...
  6. A

Green Giant Arb Brown Leaves

I have 5 Green Giant Arborvitaes that were all planted in August 2019. Most of them are doing very well but one has significant brown spots, especially on top (see attached pictures). All have been regularly fertilized and watered. Any ideas on what the issue with this one arb could be? Are...
  7. A

Crepe Myrtle Fungal Issue?

I have a crepe myrtle that is exhibiting a couple of troubling symptoms: It has lot of tiny yellow dots on its leave that kind of look like aphids but they don't move It has dark patches on most of the leaves that look like dust or soot Both of these are deposits on the leaves and not part of...
  8. A

Magnolia Bush Issue

Hi! I have a beautiful magnolia bush (I think its a Star Magnolia?) that has been doing very well for two years (see attached "healthy" picture) until I replanted it 2 feet away from its original location 2 months ago. Now it is not doing great; it does have leaves but they are very small and...
  9. A

Steeds Holly Bushes Not Doing Well

Ron - No, I did not use garden fabric before laying the mulch. Attached are a couple pictures with the current status (still not great, doing slightly worse). I pulled the mulch away from the trunks on 5/16 and applied two cups each of Espoma Soil Acidifier a week ago to try and counteract the...
  10. A

Thanks for the quick reply! Why does having mulch close to the trunk hurt the tree? Does it harm the tree's ability to "breathe" or something like that? The mulch is roughly 1.5-2" thick.
  11. A

I planted 12 Steeds Holly bushes in October 2018 and am at my wits end as to why they are doing so much worse now than when they were first planted (see attached before and after pictures). I have mounded them up a bit to ensure the root balls are not sitting in our dense, sometimes saturated...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back