Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Correction: Plum trees are also effected. See pictures.
  2. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Found out the following with Neem oil spraying by observation: Sprayed onto existing foliage: Peach trees, Nectarines, & Almond trees start to loose their older leaves. New foliage starts to grow afterward. All other fruit trees seem to be thwarting the Japanese Beetles along with the...
  3. G

Peach Spots

I'll have to be careful to mix properly. Seems like I can spray the trees late fall after the leaves fall and after the fruit trees flower for the bees. Didn't say how long the oil stays on the leaves though. Any estimated guess ?
  4. G

Peach Spots

I guess we'll see if Neem is effective. An interesting article: http://www.primaryinfo.com/projects/neem-oil.htm Says effective on bacterial spot with tomatoes and peppers. Why not on anything else ????
  5. G

Peach Spots

I have 3 peach trees: Golden Jubilee, Elberta and Hale Haven. The later two have peaches the size of golf balls. Also they appear to have black dots on them. Is this another fungus or mold ?
  6. G

Dormant Oil Spray

That stuff has quite a unique smell ! Wow ! 1oz to 1 gallon of water with a few drops of liquid soap to dilute the oil into the water. Just sprayed onto some fruit trees (without fruit) a few days ago just in case it has a bad reaction. Today it is raining and can see the water beading...
  7. G

Fig

The over ripe figs are a great source of nectar/sugar source for many insects. Right now is dearth for honeybees and very limited sources of any pollens. They travel up to 3 miles in any direction for food. At least the insects know when the figs are ripe. I have two plants like yours and...
  8. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Yea, just bought a gallon of the essential oil. $60.00 shipped on the bay. This should last me several years. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works with the fungus and beetles....Thanks for leading me in the right direction....
  9. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Found an alternative to toxic chemicals: Neem Oil Spray concentrate. Kind of expensive per gallon, however goes a very long way, maybe even years. Can be sprayed on any foliage all season long and does not affect bees unless you get it on them. 100% Biodegradable and gets rid of hundreds of...
  10. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Another thing: Any suggestions for a concentrate that will last about two dozen fruit trees ? Quantity & Quality is what I'm looking for. Not going to spray now, too late. Or should I say too early for Fall....I see the DomOil on the bay, however frown on the $28 shipping for 5 gallons...
  11. G

Dormant Oil Spray

Could anyone recommend some Dormant Oil Spray. Horticultural oil spray that will not affect my honeybees and will last awhile ?
  12. G

Mystery Fruit Cocktail Trees

A phone call to DirectGardening produced the following: More confusion ! With the plum grafts: 4 possibilities: Stanley, Superior, Methley, & Ozark plums. It depends on the pictures you find relating to that type. My first picture resembles an Ozark and the other could be a Superior...
  13. G

The first picture, I believe represents a Green Gage plum. The 2nd one is still a mystery, however not sure of the flesh color yet. The skin on the 2nd picture will get a medium purple with light yellow pin sized spots on it.
  14. G

Seen that. All they brag about is Peaches, Plums, Apricots and Nectarines, not what kinds.
  15. G

Cant grow strawberries!!

A few years ago, I had purchased some potted plant strawberries. 3 plants to be exact. One died, the 2nd one was dying and the third OK. I figured the remaining where going to die. Boy was I wrong. Decided to plant them out front of my porch and 3 years later, 25-30 pounds of...
  16. G

I've got 2 of these trees and the only bud grafts remaining are: 1st tree has only a plum leaf and bears smaller purple with a hint of green plums. The 2nd tree is primarily a plum, which I think it resembles a Methley plum (purple stone free skin) and the other remaining branch is definitely...
  17. G

Hall's Hardy not budded out yet

Gotcha. I use some composted cow manure to grow seeds and plantings with great results. I'll go out and wet the bark with the hose a couple times a day. I'm thinking it may be confused about what season it is or just growing roots.
  18. G

Mostly planted in the ground. I'll add some composted cow manure into the mixture and liquid rooting hormone (diluted of course). Sometimes I'll pot them, sometimes not. This one did not. Where do I get this, "Soil-Less" mix ?
  19. G

I've read all the reviews on Willis Orchard Co. and after I've ordered some trees in the past from them, most of it dies within the first year. Earlier this year I called to complain about my order not surviving and one tree was supposed to be an American Filbert. Turns out it was a rootless...
  20. G

Unusual Pear tree fruit growth

Now I have to find new homes for them. That's too bad. Both are about 8' round and 15' tall. 4-5" trunks. Nothing to dig up with my backhoe.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back