Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. farmerlon

Anyone Use Plant Netting?

A friend of mine just purchased a bunch of Tulle (wedding sheer) fabric to try as an insect barrier/netting. It is supposed to provide insect protection, without the heat-gain that can be a problem with floating row cover material. I am awaiting his report, after he gets some experience with...
  2. farmerlon

Rain barrels

I think that has changed, and Colorado residents can now legally collect rain water. I'm not totally certain about that, but I think that's right. Maybe someone who lives in Colorado can let us know for sure.:)
  3. farmerlon

Organic Matter

Do you know the reasoning behind that? It seems like Sunflowers would be a great way to add a lot of "biomass" back into your soil.
  4. farmerlon

Fall/Winter Garden

Just keep in mind that many plants, like unprotected Tomatoes, will be killed by the first frost, so plan the timing (for sowing seeds and transplanting) of those accordingly.
  5. farmerlon

Blueberries?

And before you do, take some time to prepare the area where you will plant the Blueberries. Blueberries thrive in a light soil that has plenty of organic matter. Depending on the current soil conditions, you might consider adding compost, peat moss, and maybe some sand. Also, Blueberries want...
  6. farmerlon

Strawberry Question

This is the first year that I have had Everbearing (Tribute variety) strawberries. Back in the spring, I pruned any flowers that appeared, to let the plants establish better. For a couple of months now, I have been harvesting a small bowl of Strawberries every day, from a plot of about 25...
  7. farmerlon

Blueberries?

There are 3 main types of Blueberries that are used by commercial and garden growers... Northern Highbush, Rabbiteye, and Southern Highbush. You mentioned Duke and Blueray; those are varieties of Northern Highbush blueberries. In much of the USA, Northern Highbush is typically the most...
  8. farmerlon

Anyone care to help a new gardener?

ditto ... don't use any type of Herbicide in (or near) the garden. Personally, I also don't use chemical pesticides in the garden (but, that's not the approach that everyone takes).
  9. farmerlon

?????

Pricing psychology can be a funny thing. A price that is too low can give the impression that you are selling an inferior product. If you have a good quality product, I would suggest that you RAISE your prices. If anyone comments that the price seems high, that affords you an opportunity to...
  10. farmerlon

Blueberries?

A single variety of Blueberries will often set fruit. But, for the most fruit production, another variety (of the same type) is needed for cross-pollination. In other words, if you have a Highbush blueberry plant, cross-pollinate with a different Highbush variety... if you have a Rabbiteye...
  11. farmerlon

Blueberries?

The Blueberry bush will grow well through the Summer, up until the fall/winter frosts. In Tennessee, the fruit on the plants is usually gone by June and July, depending on the variety. I would guess the harvest would usually end a couple of weeks earlier in Georgia.
  12. farmerlon

Feeding Watermelon plants

I sow my melon seeds on a "hill" of soil that I build on top of a nice pile of compost and composted manure. I don't do any applications of chemical fertilizers. Maybe they are just being nice:), but everyone that I share those melons with tells me that they're the "best they ever tasted".
  13. farmerlon

Over Planting

Great idea... and appears to be a great way to reduce tillage. I've done a bit of that, and it has worked well... I should do more. Although, that would not work for the way that I like to grow corn. I "dig out" my corn rows, so they look like a shallow trench. That way, I have plenty of...
  14. farmerlon

Gardening For The Health of It

Yep, nothing like it! I guess the treadmill at the gym works for some folks... but I would much rather spend the day "working out" in the garden. Organic gardening combines positive EXERCISE and positive NUTRITION !:)
  15. farmerlon

Indoor Veggies

For the outside garden, you might also want to try a Floating Row Cover over some of those leafy crops; row covers can be great to deter the green worms and loopers from Broccoli, Cabbage, etc... . I am going to experiment with human hair this year, to see if it will keep some of the rabbits...
  16. farmerlon

Do you have a story to share?

Yep, you made me think of my own bug story. A few years back, when I first "got into" gardening, the first book that I picked up was "the Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond. First, let me say that there is a lot of good advice in that book... and, I have a great respect for Mr. Raymond. From...
  17. farmerlon

Building a Framework for 4ft Growlights!

Yes, it will probably be several days before I can "git 'er done"... but I will be happy to post some photos. I will try to update next week.:)
  18. farmerlon

Building a Framework for 4ft Growlights!

I set up some grow lights a few weeks ago; and I thought I would share what I used, becuase the set-up was very easy and quick (and very cheap if you have the materials lying around). For the main "frame", I used one of those Plastic Utility Shelf units that you can find at any big box hardware...
  19. farmerlon

Mulch?

thank you ... Though I have only been here a short time, this looks like a quality forum and I am enjoying the experience. I look forward to hanging around.:)
  20. farmerlon

Mulch?

If they are talking about a "mulch" to keep heat in, I suspect that they may be referring to "plastic mulch". {Personally, I don't like to call plastic "mulch", but a lot of folks do.} A plastic covering will usually heat up the soil considerably, and help retain that warmth. A lot of...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com