Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

Ashes in compost?

Hi there. Just wondering if ashes from my fire pit would be something I could add to my compost pile. I only put dead branches that fall from my trees and sometimes the occasional marshmallow that falls off the stick in the fire pit...nothing wierd like crackle logs or anything else for that...
  2. M

Composting

I forgot to ask how important sun is to composting. I have a spot in my yard that is mostly shaded, but I would like to put a second (bigger) pile there. For some reason I seem to remember one of the websites saying something about a sunny area, but cannot find it now. Also, I've heard...
  3. M

Composting

Hi there. First a quick suggestion :) It might be nice to have a forum dedicated to composting techniques and questions. I started a compost pile this year for the first time. I've done some reading up on it, but I do have a few questions and I figured that this would be a good place to...
  4. M

Seedling problems

lol, that sounds familiar! Last year I built 10" tall raised garden beds for my garden, and filled them with an equal mix of sand, topsoil, and compost. This year I was planning on getting a small load of compost to mix in and top off the garden beds with. Should I skip the compost for the...
  5. M

Seedling problems

My heater does have a fan, and I have that pointed towards a nearby wall so the air can bounce off it before circulating...I originally thought that the heater blowing directly on the plants was my problem.
  6. M

Seedling problems

Wow! Sounds like I'm messing everything up :) I'll definitely chalk this year up to a learning experience, and thank you guys so much for helping me out! So right now here's where I stand. I'm working on drying out my plants, I think they should be fairly dry by morning time, but I'll...
  7. M

Seedling problems

I live near Chicago, so my average frost date is April 25. These aren't the greatest pics, I'll try to get better ones later today.
  8. M

Seedling problems

Oh really? Thanks a lot, I was thinking that was the last of my problems :) Do you think they will recover or should I start a few more seeds while there is a little time left? I think a few are dead, but the others look like they have a little life left in em.
  9. M

Seedling problems

Hi there! I was hoping that someone could help me out. I have a couple flats of heirloom tomatoes, cukes, and peppers that are not doing too well. Most of my tomato plants are turning yellow and I'm pretty sure they are dead or dying. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if the...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com