?????

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

MY business is really crapping out this year, people are not buying anything and I don't have a clue as what to do??? My prices are the same as last year and the plants are starting to rot in the planters. Something I have marked down but this no sales. And when someone does come for plants they act like my prices are to high. But compared to others in the ares they are low. Any help would be great, I have signs up all over and now I'm at the point of plants that I will have to dump out soon as they are yellowing and root bound. I have a price list if you'd like to see my prices and let me know what you think, I might be doing wrong??? It's on facebook under hilltop plants or use this link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HillTop-Plants/119214654776024?v=app_2373072738&ref=ts#!/topic.php?uid=119214654776024&topic=53

Spider_Lily

Your price's are alot cheaper than nursery item's here.Everything's so expensive here.Alot of people have already bought most of their plant's and seed's for gardening getting to hot and dry.Everything's dying.Hope your plant sale pick's up soon.

sunflower3

people are not spending money because of the economy, MY hubby just got laid off today, which we didn't expect to happen but it has, so now I will have him and my one son and daughter here as they are laid off also and my other son will find out today or tomorrow if he still has a job or not, he needs his as he's going to school and it pays his bill for that.

sunflower3

people are not spending money because of the economy, MY hubby just got laid off today, which we didn't expect to happen but it has, so now I will have him and my one son and daughter here as they are laid off also and my other son will find out today or tomorrow if he still has a job or not, he needs his as he's going to school and it pays his bill for that.

Well hubby just called me, He is not being laid off taking a pay cut and they will not match his retirement for now, which is a whole lot better then a lay off, thank you Lord.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very glad your hubby is not being layed off..I know from experience how that feels. Your plant prices are more than reasonable, wish I lived close to you!!
You're right, the economy has people counting pennies these days. I look at things and have to ask myself..do I need this or do I just want it. If it's just a want..it usually stays where I find it. I wish you much luck with your plant business.

KallieLashay

I think alot of people are doing their own gardens. I started a garden last year and then come to find out alot of co workers and friends also had gardens...just a thought. Im gonna check out your link tho :))

farmerlon

... My prices are the same as last year and the plants are starting to rot in the planters. Something I have marked down but this no sales. ...

Pricing psychology can be a funny thing. A price that is too low can give the impression that you are selling an inferior product. If you have a good quality product, I would suggest that you RAISE your prices. If anyone comments that the price seems high, that affords you an opportunity to explain the extra care and quality that you put into your wares, which makes them worth the extra expense.

Don't sell on price ... sell on value !!!
In other words, don't say "buy my stuff because it is a competitive price"... say "buy my stuff because it is top-quality that you will enjoy".

A higher price also affords you the opportunity to extend a "quantity" discount or "good customer" discount that can help to close a sale or encourage the sale of additional items.
If your price is already set too low, then you have no room to negotiate or create good will.

sunflower3

I set my prices high and always work a deal with folks, Like the elderly my only want one or two plants so they pay $1.00 for 2, my perinnials I start at $10. and go down depending on the customers, some have come back year after year. I had to throw out $1000.00 worth of veggie plants as I ran out of room to plant them but that is a lose to my business and can be claimed. I will have to wait and see what next year brings me I guess.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com