a good companion flower

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dublinah

I created a bed in the front of my house last spring in which I planted 4 hybrid teas, 1 floribunda and 1 climber around the side.

I have some salvia in there as well, I just love the rich purple color; I planted lantana last summer but it did not survive the winter. There is also a lavender; the scent is gorgeous...and some catnip found its way in there which my 3 fuzzies are quite pleased with.

Any suggestions on some good companion plants for the roses, something that won't compete with the roses roots, or cause any damage?

Thanks for any and all advice :) & happy gardening!!

Blueaussi

What about some thyme to go with the lavender? Some varieties have very ornamental pink flowers, and you could use it for cooking.

palmettogal

Are you sure the lantana won't come back? Mine has not as of yet but every year that I think it has been killed off in the winter it suddenly shows back up.

Jade

It's ok, I am a northerner and after you made your comment I looked to see where she was from and where you are from.

Dublinah

No worries, I thought it was a perennial too; I bought it in the perennial section at Lowes, but after researching it further I doscovered it isn't hardy in my zone. I should have done my research beforehand, clearly!

I pulled the whole thing up & tossed it in the compost heap...those roots spread though, I tell ya!

Thyme sounds good, its pretty hardy & should make it through the winter.

Thanks yall!

Jade

Be careful when buying what Lowes is calling perennial because they buy alot of their stuff from more southern states, where it is actually perennial. When buying perennials it is often best to go with a local grower who actually knows who is selling the perennials to. If they are a good grower and nursery they won't mislead you because they know that you won't come back.

GardenBear1

lantana will make it here in New England but it needs to be covered with lots of leaves mine made it for all most 4 years, but the snow plow man tore it out with his plow and half the tree belt last year

Jade

Wow, you must be really heavily mulching because it is considered a zone 9! I thought that my petunias overwintered here and they probably would have if we would have left the leaves on them for another month, but hubby was anxious to do the yard cleanup on the first spring-like days here.

Dublinah

thank you all for your replies, suggestions, etc...

I did not realize, but should have, that Lowes buys most plants from the south, that would explain it. To be honest, hubby and I have had consistent bad luck with purchases from them, you would think that I would learn my lesson.

The lantana was the only thing I didn't cover in that bed, just the roses.

I like the idea of thyme, maybe more herbs; I'm definitely going to check out that site, thank you Kya for the link!

Melissa

I read a book on companion gardening and it said that planting decorative onions and garlic are very good for roses...It said the garlic would ward off alot of the pest and disease that attack the roses (vampires?). I was in the process of testing this out but an icestorm took out the majority of my rose garden....building it up again in a different location...now I just have to transplant the allium around my new roses. I also planted a ton of boxwood seedlings as borders....have alot of moving to do.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com