A little more room for pollinator plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

April 16, 2020
Circle_Garden_boxwoods-1.jpg

Taking out the stock-tank pond opened up a partly sunny spot in my shady garden. You can bet I wasn’t going to let that go to waste! Inside a new circle of diminutive ‘Micron’ hollies, which echo the form of ‘Winter Gem’ boxwoods at the entryways, I planted pollinator-friendly flowering perennials and annuals.

Agave_ovatifolia_Verbena_bonariensis-1.jpg

Two months after planting, tall verbena (Verbena bonariensis) has shot up to 5 feet and towers over native Gulf Coast penstemon (Penstemon tenuis).

Verbena_bonariensis_Agave_ovatifolia-1.jpg

The pretty lavender flowers entice bees and butterflies.

Circle_Garden_Shed-4.jpg

I love the new flowers and am delighted to have a pollinator pit stop. In photos, unfortunately, the tall verbena looks weedy as it soars over a central potted Agave ovatifolia. In person I find it romantic. Walking past those giraffe-like verbena, I stretch out my hand to make the airy stems bob and wave, like Ruth Wilcox strolling her garden at Howards End. (Imagining myself in a long, white dress trailing across dewy grass…)

Shoshanas_iris_Gulf_Coast_penstemon_2-1.jpg

On Sunday my first iris opened, the one I call Shoshana’s iris. I haven’t been able to get an iris to bloom in this garden in years. It’s just too shady. But when I moved a few straggly plants over to the new Circle Garden, they immediately started growing, and now this!

Shoshanas_iris-1.jpg

I’m pretty happy about it.

Shoshanas_iris_Gulf_Coast_penstemon_1-1.jpg

Shoshana looks especially lovely next to Gulf Coast penstemon.

Yellow_columbine.jpg

There’s columbine too.

Desert_Dusk_hesperaloe_Bee_1-1.jpg

Along the chimney wall of the house, I’ve planted Hesperaloe parviflora ‘Desert Dusk’, a new cultivar of our native red yucca, with wine-red instead of coral flowers. It’s also a little more compact than the standard hesperaloe. And bees love it.

Desert_Dusk_hesperaloe_Bee_2-1.jpg

I watched this busy bee adding to her pollen sacs…

Desert_Dusk_hesperaloe_Bee_3-1.jpg

…fertilizing the flowers as she goes. Keep up the good work, bees!

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post A little more room for pollinator plants appeared first on Digging.

w6Ys9PU2scc

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back