A Peony Question??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Treva

Hello Friends
I have a Peony Question?
While in KS I dug some of my grandpas peonies, before the house was sold.
I know this is the wrong time of the year to do this, BUT...I had to have some of his flowers!
Will these do ok? I have never had them before, and these are very special to me!
Any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

myfedora

Well in your area, I would say plant them in a shady area for the rest of the summer and replant during fall. That is the best I can come up with.

Treva

Well in your area, I would say plant them in a shady area for the rest of the summer and replant during fall. That is the best I can come up with.
Thank You! They are just the roots...I did not know to plant them in shade!!!!!
I really dont know much abou them just know I Loved my grandpas bushes!!!!

myfedora

Most peonies are zone 3-8 from what I can tell. If they are just roots I would put them somewhere that is half and half, sun and shade. Maybe some mulch over them to help keep the roots cooler.

Treva

Most peonies are zone 3-8 from what I can tell. If they are just roots I would put them somewhere that is half and half, sun and shade. Maybe some mulch over them to help keep the roots cooler.
Would they do better in a pot?
I am sorry for all the questions!:cool:

Annette99

I have moved peonies in the spring and the fall with great success. I would not put them in a pot, put them in the ground where you want them to avoid having to disturb them again.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't plant them deep or they will never bloom. I think you are suppose to plant them about 2". I'm sure the net has articles on how deep they should be or someone will come along and tell us for sure. Good luck. I have some from my grammie's house but she lived next door so not different zones. Hope they do well for you, I would try to keep them kinda shaded with your temps

Kya D

Ms Treva I have a friend that has her peonies in pots and they really are growing great,
huge plants and tons of buds this year.

Treva

WOW!
Thank You my Friends, I really hope these do well, my grandfather had beautiful gardens and I was so sad to see that it is now weed filled and most of it gone!
So I dug some peonies, iris and lillies.
The house is now sold.
I truly appreciate all of your help!:D

Melissa

Whenever I move mine...it takes them a year or so to bloom again. I did some research on this for a friend in GA and we discovered that she would have to chill hers in the winter, so I am sure you would also Treva. Maybe pots would be a good solution for you so it would be easier for you to chill them in the winter. Hubby's not going to be too happy when there is no room in the frig because of all your peonies ;)

DizzyDaff

Hi Treva, glad you are back!
That is a special peony and I hope it does well for you. I am sure if ANYONE in your zone can grow peonies - it will be you! You seem to have a magic touch with plants of all kinds.:)

Plant it where it is going to stay. Peonies do not like their roots disturbed very often. Make sure there is NO standing water - must be well drained.
If you use a container, make it a large one so the roots have plenty of room to grow. If this is the method you use, just put it in an air conditioned room to simulate "winter".

While they do need some direct sun to be at their happiest, in your area, I'd make sure it only gets early morning or possibly late afternoon sun.

Here is a site I've found to be very helpful
How to Grow Peonies

And there are many others such as Heartland Peony Society
and Hollingsworth Nursery (they can give great answers)

Jules

Treva - how special that you were able to get your grandpas flowers for your own garden. I have several peonies that are doing great - but my zone is so different than yours. I agree with the sun/shade part so they don't get too much heat. And as Mainey said - be cautious on how deep you set them in the ground. ANd one planted, always be careful not to build dirt or mulch up around them, or they won't bloom. Having said that, do remember that it could take two or three years before you get any blooms. Do you remember what colour they are? I am thinking they are probably an older variety if he had them for years - maybe Sarah Berndardt????

Treva

THANK YOU for your advice...Hubby said NO WAY! on the frige!:D
Whenever I move mine...it takes them a year or so to bloom again. I did some research on this for a friend in GA and we discovered that she would have to chill hers in the winter, so I am sure you would also Treva. Maybe pots would be a good solution for you so it would be easier for you to chill them in the winter. Hubby's not going to be too happy when there is no room in the frig because of all your peonies ;)

Treva

THANK YOU Dizzy!
I truly appreciate your compliments and encouragement!
and the link its GREAT! :D
Hi Treva, glad you are back!
That is a special peony and I hope it does well for you. I am sure if ANYONE in your zone can grow peonies - it will be you! You seem to have a magic touch with plants of all kinds.:)

Plant it where it is going to stay. Peonies do not like their roots disturbed very often. Make sure there is NO standing water - must be well drained.
If you use a container, make it a large one so the roots have plenty of room to grow. If this is the method you use, just put it in an air conditioned room to simulate "winter".

While they do need some direct sun to be at their happiest, in your area, I'd make sure it only gets early morning or possibly late afternoon sun.

Here is a site I've found to be very helpful
How to Grow Peonies

And there are many others such as Heartland Peony Society
and Hollingsworth Nursery (they can give great answers)

Treva

Jules...yes these are very SPECIAL to me! They started with my great grandmother.
He had both a red and a pink, they were just budding I hope I got some of both!:cool:
Treva - how special that you were able to get your grandpas flowers for your own garden. I have several peonies that are doing great - but my zone is so different than yours. I agree with the sun/shade part so they don't get too much heat. And as Mainey said - be cautious on how deep you set them in the ground. ANd one planted, always be careful not to build dirt or mulch up around them, or they won't bloom. Having said that, do remember that it could take two or three years before you get any blooms. Do you remember what colour they are? I am thinking they are probably an older variety if he had them for years - maybe Sarah Berndardt????

Kya D

Maybe "Karl Rosenfeld "they are red. Treva did you get several of each? If you did you could send some to a friend in another state and that way you will have someone who has a start of the family plants.
A friend of mine says that every time you share a plant you give yourself a better chance to get it back if you lose your plant.
TTFN,

DizzyDaff

Treva did you get several of each? If you did you could send some to a friend in another state and that way you will have someone who has a start of the family plants.
A friend of mine says that every time you share a plant you give yourself a better chance to get it back if you lose your plant.

Excellent idea if you have enough. I just got back some variegated sedum - I killed the last of mine, but had shared it before.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a good idea to share with someone in a different zone so in case something does happen you can get another piece of it. Thanks for sharing the idea Kya.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com