a thirsty desert dweller

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

azhomegrown

hello from the deserts of arizona. I live in one of the driest states in the country and the hottest which makes for an interesting challenge. I constantly battle with these two enemies. Also dont panic I am an organic fanatic so no chemicals here! I believe everything should be grown the way our creator wanted them to be. Who or what that creator is i dont know and wont start one of those battles. I love nature and hope to get a lot from this site through sharing my lovely garden with you all and i cant wait to get the chance to take a look at everyone elses. Life is a garden, Dig it!

Attachments

• 0214001022.jpg
    0214001022.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 0219001257.jpg
    0219001257.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 286
  • 0219001259.jpg
    0219001259.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 0219001259a.jpg
    0219001259a.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 290
  • 0219001256.jpg
    0219001256.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 279

Kya D

Welcome welcome sure am glad you found our GF family. I live in Utah and we have some weather challenges also. There are several organic gardeners on the site I'm sure you all will get to know each other real quick.
If you have questions just ask, if you have answers or comments just post em.
WELCOME

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums AZ. I think everyone has their very own weather battles, some worse than others. I would not want your weather worries!!
Very nice plants you have there, I hope you share lots of pics with us, it's refreshing after this long winter to see some plants growing. If you have any questions, just ask.

curbhopper

WELCOME ~ and I have no clue which state you're in but your plants look wonderful! Is Arizona always dry? How do you keep these plants watered (ok..besides watering them) Do you ever run OUT of water? ~ Curious Curbie

Attachments

• !cid_004f01c61f79$96aafd10$6401a8c0@DFRFPM11.gif
    !cid_004f01c61f79$96aafd10$6401a8c0@DFRFPM11.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 289
  • _welcome.jpg
    _welcome.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Homegrown! So glad you are organic. As far as I am concerned it's the only way to go! Your pictures look great. Are those current , as in your winter season? I look forward to seeing more pictures and talking organics.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
HEllo and Welcome to the place...Organic all the way ...no other way for me...Look forward to seeing you around the place

azhomegrown

thanks for all of the replies. I really feel like this is going to be a great place to share knowledge,pictures, possibly seed, and love! I cant wait to dig into this garden of knowlegde!

Curbhopper: hey, I live in Phoenix which is the city and Ariizona is the state. For water i just use the water from my refridgerator which has a carbon filter. This takes a while but i am going to builde a filter of my own. Other than that i use a lot of water from my fish tank and no i never run out thouh we do have droughts.

Crabbergirl: thanks for the comments. Yes, these pictures are current. Being in the desert it gets hot really quick as the summer months come im dead and gone around june or july. I use a green mesh to help them which adds a month or so. I just try to watch for frosts and there good. We have got a lot of rain lately which i am happy about but it has gotten hot for this time of year almost, if not in the 80's. i definitely looki forward to some talks on otganics.

Peace

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for all of the replies. I really feel like this is going to be a great place to share knowledge,pictures, possibly seed, and love! I cant wait to dig into this garden of knowlegde!

Crabbergirl: thanks for the comments. Yes, these pictures are current. Being in the desert it gets hot really quick as the summer months come im dead and gone around june or july. I use a green mesh to help them which adds a month or so. I just try to watch for frosts and there good. We have got a lot of rain lately which i am happy about but it has gotten hot for this time of year almost, if not in the 80's. i definitely looki forward to some talks on otganics.

Peace

Cool! Usually Fl weather is better than it has been this year. I love the almost year round garden. Have you thought about trying the water wall? they say it is great for tomatoes to keep them warm in winter and cool in summer. I look forward to talking to you and learning from you.

curbhopper

azhomegrown ~ We fly through Phoenix from time to time. My son-in-law was in the Marines and would say things like," ma.......tell your daughter to send water." You have a good system and I do not know what a water wall is ~ surPRISE. I have a hunch that my perns will come back with a vengence b/c they have been so snow ladened and will have tons of 'wintering' and water. Curbie :)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
homegrown the pictures look great. do you do all your planting in containers? do you find them easier to keep watered in your heat. so you have some ground to plant in I am full of questions but welcome to the site. I used to container garden in a dry area. it can be a challange to keep them watered.

azhomegrown

Mainly the reason i container garden is because of the way my backyard is situated it faces south. I have a lot of trees and walls that get in the way of the sun so by having them in containers i can move them around the yard as the sun moves, well when im home atleast. I dont find it too hard to keep them watered unless i get really busy but with my schedual it works for now.

peace

curbhopper

You sound like me azhomegrown ~ our deck is always a work in progress b/c as the sun changes angles so the shade changes and certain trees bloom..... I keep scooting things all over the place. My neighbor laughs but she won't even grow an indestructable hosta. ~ Curbie :)

Bluewolf

Welcome to our "home" Homie :)

you're gonna love this place this group has to be one of the finest group I have ever belonged to and I am so honored to be here!!!

lookin forward to more of your pics and learnin all about you!!

curbhopper

I KNEW you were going to say that....b/c I was going to say that...peas in a pod...geez.... we have nicknames for each other, AZ :) :) :) oh Wolfie.... :) ~ Curbie

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some containers on the back porch. They are wine barrels that have been cut in half. They probably hold about 15 gallons of soil, so they are quite heavy. The porch is concrete so in order to move them easily, I bought some 4-wheel dollies from Harbor Freight when they were on sale for ten bucks a pop. Our back porch is 30' x 40'.

levi murphy

Hello azho, love your plant photos, In spite of the dryness and heat in your area, you still succeeded in growing such healthy plants. thumbs up friend

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com