Advice on planting Mint

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I heard that planting Mint near peas will improve their flavor and health and I want to try this. I know that it is invasive and I don't want that. I have a garden angel statue that is holding a little 3" pot. Since the angel is right by the peas I thought it would be perfect to plant a little Mint inside.

Do you think this will work? Or is the container too small?

Do you know of any herb that will work in a little container? I will try to upload a pic of it when I figure out how to..lol

I plant all of my mint in coffee cans w/ holes poked in the bottom for drainage and then buried in my garden... this controls the roots. My season must be too short for them to seed cuz I don't get get more plants.

Our mint is in a half barrel and I saw a hitchhiker in one of the other half barrels about ten feet away.

In a small little pot? Next to peas? Why not a parsley plant? It's supposed to have a beneficial effect on peas.

That should work, but i found a great way to grow mint and its less invasive this way. Buy lattice that has like 1/2-1 inch squares, and make an X shape in the pot and place in soil. let the lattice come about a foot out of the pot it will grow up like vines, and wont invade as much. same with roots. they will wrap around lattice and that way your pot space will be just right. Larger pots i reccommend using doll rods placed vertically, in a hexagonal outline.

Hi Kallie,
What you are referring to in planting peas and mint together is called companion planting. Typically companion planting has a lot to due with the needs of the companion plants in regards to soil needs, benefits also include pest deterrents, Pollination and or transfer of pollen between different plants can also effect flavor. The idea behind compaion planting is to maximize your soil by having plants with different soil needs near each other.
Mint and peas are great companions. I understand you concerns about the mint being invasive. randy is right about the seeds as well as any smal portion of the plant that drops will as well cause it to spread. I am batteling an invasion of mint right now. It is in the lawn which is fine, but it is covering the garden so fast I can't keep it out :(
So just keep a very close eye on your mint;)

Is chocolate mint as invasive as others? I have my peas in a pot with a teepee-style trellis, which means there's a lot of soil in the base going to waste. I've been considering putting mint, thyme, or oregano in the base but haven't yet done the research to see how well they'd work together, or if they'd compete for root space/etc.

Why does parsley do well with peas? I hadn't thought of growing that this year, but if it were to do well in the base of the pot the peas are in, I might have to go grab some seeds. Or better yet, do these herbs combine together well with peas? I have a lot of research to do lol.

You might try chives or parsley in the small pot. You'll probably replace the herb in the pot next year with something else if the chives or parsley out grow it.

That should work, but i found a great way to grow mint and its less invasive this way. Buy lattice that has like 1/2-1 inch squares, and make an X shape in the pot and place in soil. let the lattice come about a foot out of the pot it will grow up like vines, and wont invade as much. same with roots. they will wrap around lattice and that way your pot space will be just right. Larger pots i reccommend using doll rods placed vertically, in a hexagonal outline.
I am totally agree with Spearmintman about this topic.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back