Antique or vintage tools

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

deck chucker

Was your trimmer green? It sounds like the one I have.

There's a pulley system by the upper door, but the barn is 100 years old and there's some concern about how sturdy the floor is. That would be my main concern trying to move it. I don't think there's anything rotted on that side of the barn, but the additional part had a partial roof cave in a few years ago. We don't have the money to really do much with it.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was. I bet they are the same one! How about that.
About your barn. We took a barn apart board by board and then reconstructed it in a new location. It was a lot of work but well worth the historical value

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife saw a program on "Oregon Public Broadcasting" quite a few years back on barns. It was called "Barn Again" and told about the different kinds of barns and how they developed. It seems the Germans brought one kind of barn to the New World, the Scandinavians another, and so forth. It is a very interesting tape and I should watch it again. She ordered that tape after the program and she still has it tucked away. I really should find it and get that put onto a DVD for safekeeping.

deck chucker

I was researching a few months ago to see if I could find out anything about why there's a 2" x 2" wooden stick through the front of the barn roof and resting on the top of the window. Even Amish builders I've talked to have never seen anything like it. But there are barn societies online dedicated to Dutch barns and German barns, all kinds of barns. And youtube had some restorations and barn moves. I have a deep appreciation for those who see their value.

I bet it is the same trimmer. I know there's a label on it still, but I'll have to wait for a thaw to get anywhere near it!

Bernie

Laurie I'm sorry your family history was stolen. When my father got sick he gave my DH and I some of his old tools. DH got the wood working tools and I got a few gardening tools. At one point we lived next door to a guy who collected old tools. One day my Dad's old prunners which I use constantly suddenly disappeared. Shortly there after DH told me Dad's wood working tools were missing too. Quick check told me Dad's other gardening tools were gone too. I went next door and walked right into the neighbor's garage. There they all were, on display, on his wall. I took them all back. He came out just as I was leaving. He started to say something but I told him he had better not say a word I was in no mood to be a lady and I had better not find him in my garage again because I knew how to use a gun. We never spoke again. I still use Dad's prunners.

Bernie

Kya what he deserved was to spend some time in jail. If he didn't have kids I'd of called the cops on him. And BTW I am 100% terrified of guns but he didn't know that. :D

Kya D

Doesn't it irritate you that some people think they need your things more than you do.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com