ANYONE DAHLIA From Seed

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

HOWDY!
I have what may be a trick question.
I started Dahlia from seed earlier this year,many didn't flower and stood real small, they were suppose to get 2ft tall*LOL

They are tender but from seed?

What can you tell me about this?

Kale:eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kale

Kya, Thank-you for the information links.:)

I am looking for someone here that starts Dahlia from seed and need to know their results and what they learned.I had an interesting find and thought we can chat & learn more about it.

Kale:)

sunflower3

I always use the bulbs, but saved some seeds this year to try and start them next spring. I have never done it from seeds, but would like to try. My dahlias are still blooming in my greenhouse even though the heat is off and it gets to 26 here at night. I love going in and seeing them bloom. BUt will have to cut them off soon and save my bulbs.

K

Kale

Sunflower3!
I just viewed your 9inch Dahlia!
I was going to invite you here*LOL and here you are!
Howdy!

I was looking for my pics from seed. They were small but very beautiful for 1st try and year.What do you think you will do come frost with your Dahlia grown from seed?

Should I tell you what I found out or do you want to discover it yourself next year?
I was rather amused.

Question, do you cut them down tape off tops then pull/dig up 7-10 days later.then let sit for another few days to 10 days then split and pack in plastic bags with a fungicide none touching ?
That is what a Garden friends of mine did/does.Claimed 97percent success rate!
I read paper bag or box storing 40-50deg.

Do you separate now or Spring?

2 of the few I grew from seed!

Attachments

• myDahlia red.jpg
    myDahlia red.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 332
  • myDahliaseed pink10809.jpg
    myDahliaseed pink10809.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 337

sunflower3

Kale those are very pretty, I like the red one. Honey I don't do anything special to mine dahlias. I just cut them off and dig them shake off the dirt put them in a laundry basket in the cellar and next year bring them up and divide and plant them. That's it none of that fancy stuff and I've had some of my bulbs 8 years or more.

When you dug the ones from seeds did you find tubers, bulbs?? If so then you did a great job and should be proud. now next year they should be even bigger. Hope they take off for you, don't forget to add pictures when they come up next year. I'd love to see them.

K

Kale

Kale those are very pretty, I like the red one. Honey I don't do anything special to mine dahlias. I just cut them off and dig them shake off the dirt put them in a laundry basket in the cellar and next year bring them up and divide and plant them. That's it none of that fancy stuff and I've had some of my bulbs 8 years or more.

When you dug the ones from seeds did you find tubers, bulbs?? If so then you did a great job and should be proud. now next year they should be even bigger. Hope they take off for you, don't forget to add pictures when they come up next year. I'd love to see them.
OH...you knew! How did you know??!:D:D:D Thank you!

Have you ever started them from seed?!

I was rather amused, I dug them up and I had some tubers bigger then a peach pit ! I was expecting to just place in small pots and bring them in *lol
Ok What I did so far is pull most and took off most of the stems.
They are sitting in the basement in a box not touching each other.
I am trying to make certain they are dry. I didn't wash at all with water.
I think I will just add vermiculite and layer them.
I also have elephant ears and Caladium and(Liatris (wasn't sure if I should store these or plant them now.I had them in an season bed I take apart in fall)
I am just going o store them all together in boxes with vermiculite.I shuld be fine huh?
AND separate in Spring:D:D:D
I am please to find someone that knew bulbs come from Dahlia started from seed!
Many older male "Dahlia Growers" hadn't a clue!
Oh I was rather interested in my finds as well.it was mixed seed so I do not know the colors they would have bloomed had I planted them(most of my flat) in the ground sooner then July) and the sun shined.but..I did find some tubers were itty bitty and some were nice sized.most had 2-4 tubers most were connected to the stem,the stem on most were /are puny.

Thankyou!

The pink grew taller over 2ft more blooms.the reds were absolutely perfect form to my eyes very firm and brilliant.
I have more pics may post them later..

sunflower3

I had gotten the small dahlias from the garden center which were started from seeds and when I pulled them out they had tubers on them, so I grew them again this year and have saved them for next year. Kale I have tons of red dahlia tubers if you would like some I can send you some, if you email me your address. I would love to share them with you. I finally got my Thomas Edison, Robin Hood Exotic love, Charlie 2 and suduction dahlias to bloom this year they are 2 year old tubers and have more on them I will be propgating them next summer for the tubers for trading. My ballairine dahlia didn't bloom at all. So it is a hit and miss flower one year they are wonderful the next they might not do anything for me.But I love growing them as they are easy to grow.

sunflower3

Robin Hood, Thomas A Edison and Seduction dahlias.

Attachments

• all pictures 175.jpg
    all pictures 175.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Thomas A. Edison Dahlia.jpg
    Thomas A. Edison Dahlia.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 344
  • seducation.jpg
    seducation.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 322
K

Kale

Lovely Dahlias!:)RobinHood is gorgeous!
Have to look in some magazines he gave me Dahlias are featured in many...:D

Why Sure! Thank you :D :) ..I will email you later! How big are they and the blooms?

What would you like? I have a Dahlia friend that will give me some in spring. I helped him clean up his gardens while he tended the cutting of his very many Dahlias.I plan to get a large orange.purple and white..His are all tall about 41/2 ft to 6feet tall!
All kinds he has.

It is hard for him to part with anything but he is pretty good with me.
I will email you later, I just ran in for a sec to see if I can find out anything about Elephant ears and Caladium. I was wondering if it was advised to bring them in and let them continue to grow?
I just found 2 pots I didn't dry out yet that were in the pond..and good leaves are still to be seen*lol
I would hate to loose them, been wanting and trying for years with swaps,this year I grew them nicely.
I will catch you soon.Have work outside while temps are in the hi 40s*lol

Kale:D :D

sunflower3

Those orange dahlias sound lovely, If you get some I'd love a tuber or two to grow. I'd also like to know when you started your seeds and about how long it took for them to come up? Did you start them indoors or out, in a green house or not? Just trying to see when I should start mine and how long for them to grow. I have a green house which I start up in April so I should be able to get them going quit well in there but my start them before. Thanks Karen.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kale
My liatris stay in the ground and it comes back bigger every yr. It's hardy
I did lose my white one a few yrs ago. Not sure why they didn't come back. I have purple all over my yard from splitting them apart.

K

Kale

Sunflower,I'm sorry...I have been consumed with issues I have not forgotten you or your offer!
Still pressed for time.

Thank you Mainegal!
I had mine in a temp Annual bed for the Garden Walk Presentation. I wasn't sure if I can plant them now or not ; now that I pulled, cut back and cleaned the Liatris I boxed with vermiculite,will plant them out in Spring.

K

Kale

Those orange dahlias sound lovely, If you get some I'd love a tuber or two to grow. I'd also like to know when you started your seeds and about how long it took for them to come up? Did you start them indoors or out, in a green house or not? Just trying to see when I should start mine and how long for them to grow. I have a green house which I start up in April so I should be able to get them going quit well in there but my start them before. Thanks Karen.
I'm sorry..I have been searching fo rmy red log book!*LOL
I'm thinking it was..sowed the 4th of April germinated by the 28 transplanted may into 4ich pots. Planted outside after hardening in late June into July.My brain is a bit foggy.I had several rounds of sowing. After no germination on most, sowed again,and again then germination occurred and I had hundreds of plants and no time or place to put them *LOL
I will confirm when I find that red book..even the yellow will do I have double records *lol

K

Kale

Ok found red book sitting right next to me...*LOL now for the 2009 red book*lol or was it purple*lol
I will find it ...

Kale

K

Kale

Info above is correct.
I also sowed some outdoors on the 24th of April and transplanted them into pots that most stayed in.
Around June 24th.
Now for some more Dahlias!
These were cuttings I received from my Friend, he was cutting blooms galore so I ended up with several for arrangements.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kale

Kale those are very pretty...

Here are a few of my Dahlia Tubers From Seed! Yippy!:D:D:D

Kale:D

Attachments

• tuber dahlia3.jpg
    tuber dahlia3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 330
  • tubersDahliafrsed09.jpg
    tubersDahliafrsed09.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 315
  • tuber from seed09.jpg
    tuber from seed09.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 322
  • tuberdahpotted09.jpg
    tuberdahpotted09.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 310
  • TuberDahlia2.jpg
    TuberDahlia2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 316

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com