Anyone good with orchids?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

The red on the leaf came after I moved it away from the light. That leaf is the newest one. These lights do weird things to plants. Like speed up the flowering process, and fruit development. I like that, it's just remarkable. I think this CFL light is easier for the plants to use/eat or something. Are there any other reasons the leaf would turn red? Maybe it is too cold, or too much in the wind. (I moved the fan the other day)

Hmmm... that's strange indeed. Too cold I've not experience, since from where I am it is mostly warm or even hot. Cold and low humidity would desiccate a plant, so have to careful about that too. Phal likes humidity, but not constant wet medium. They also don't require as high a light as say cattleya or dendrobium.

Honestly, I have not made it to the store. I got really swamped in my shop. I am going to try to make it to the store this weekend.

A custom cabinet, and woodworking shop. Mostly kitchens, and entertainment centers. Because of the economy, I am offering custom for less than home depot to keep the phone ringing.

I went and got some mix today. Hydro Farm's Oganic Coco Coir. It's a big 5 pound brick that has to be rehydrated. I should get a chance later tonight to make up a pot, and plant the keiki.

I still haven't gotten around to potting it. I have been absolutely slammed with s*** happening. Too bad all the, ehem, doesn't pay.

I had planned on just squeezing most of the water out of the portion I rehydrate. I intend to leave it like a damp sponge, and then work with it. I was just going to start watering it like usual the next day. I think on the second watering I'll give it some fertilizer from the bottom tray, and go back to just water. I am supposed to feed them fertilized water once a month right?

With other plants, immediately after transplanting, I water from the bottom tray with a full dose of fertilized water, and this gets a concentration at the bottom of the soil, and allows small amounts of fertilizer to reach the roots through capillary action. Then when the roots grow down they find more food which the microbes should have shredded for them by then. I find that fertilizing from the top encourages surface roots, and many more gnats.

I advise all gardeners to find out about the "soil food web". I have a book somewhere that I should turn you on to. I'll get back to you. It took 90% of the work out of gardening. I let the soil food web do it all for me now. It's really amazing.

The book is called "teaming with microbes"

by Jeff Lowenfells & Wayne Lewis

I transplanted the Keiki.

I used about one 30th of the bag I think. Here are the pics of the orchid transplant;

4192180810_8432e23510_b.jpg

4192181020_fbc8f7934e_b.jpg

4192181258_fa7e29ed95_b.jpg

4192181604_2c6cd7f653_b.jpg

A custom cabinet, and woodworking shop. Mostly kitchens, and entertainment centers. Because of the economy, I am offering custom for less than home depot to keep the phone ringing.

I went and got some mix today. Hydro Farm's Oganic Coco Coir. It's a big 5 pound brick that has to be rehydrated. I should get a chance later tonight to make up a pot, and plant the keiki.

Glad you got the mix it makes all the difference.
My husband too, is in woodworking and construction. And he too can do it for less than the box stores or big contractors. There is a saying in this biz " Keep it small , keep it all" low or no overhead really helps

That's pretty much the way it is for me. Keep it small, keep it all. It's a ton of work during this recession though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back