Anyone have a TNT recipe for Biscuit Pudding

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Story how hushpuppies got their name.

"It is said that the hushpuppy got its name from the dredging of the catfish that would have been thrown out. Being thrifty, the cook from the house would send this down to the slave quarters and the women added a little milk, egg and onion and fried it up. It is said they were tossed at the dogs to keep them quiet while the food was being transferred from the pot to the table, i.e., "hush puppy! hush puppy!"
---A History of Soul Food

I am just beginning to think about my supper. Richard is at work and I am home alone. That is a dangerous thing when I am hungry. LOL

That cute! I think that I have heard that before. I can just see a bunch standing around telling the dog to hush. LOL

The hoe cakes got it's name from many decades ago. The biscuit or cornbread mixture was put on the hoe in hot ashes in the fire to cook. The Cherokee Indians cooked in that fashion as well.

Last edited:
What a great way to cook outdoors! It would be fun to camp out with the grandkids and cook on hoes for shovels!

Oh, I remember that now. I didn't know about 'hush puppies', but I had read about hoe cakes. I have fixed the johnny cakes here at home and the family will eat them at the meal, but they never seem to touch the leftovers. And I make enough of them so there are plenty of leftovers. But one of those johnny cakes sure does make a great carb snack when one is needed.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back