Anyone have Leaf rollers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

My beautiful Red Russian cannas have leaf rollers. I went out late in the evening yesterday checking my plants after the storm. I have lots of new blooms but my red Russians have leaf rollers. The only cure I know is a chemical. Has anyone else had them? If so what do you use. I need to get rid of them before they spred. They had to be in the soil, otherwise they wouldn't be here so soon. I only saw two plants. I need to spray before it gets too hot. I feel terrible but my babies need me. I am using Bayer Complete Insect Killer.

Dor

I went out and squeezed the leaf that was rolled but didn't feel anything so I cut it off and bagged and desposed of it. I have to get some 7 dust. Thanks for the links SassWVGirl.

Dor

I had more last year and wnated to nip them in the bud Blue. I checked all my cannas in the front yard and I only saw the one rolled and stitched leaf. I don't have the energy to check the back yard right now. I have to rest and will check the back later. I only had a few on the Robert Kemps last year in the back.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you smash the pest and leave it on the plant it helps to deter more from coming. There is a receipe for "bug juice" using the offending pest as a spray and it really works. But as you only have a few that won't be easy. ;) Just thought I would list an organic solution. I do this with the big lubbers in the summer. Stinky but works well.

Dor

Thanks Crabbergirl. If I see more I will smash and leave it to let them know what will happen it they touch my beautiful cannas. They are so pretty. They are about about foot tall now and I have about 10 and more sprouting. I started out with two from a trade last year. I was going to send you some but have to wait until I rid them of them of these pests. My Robert Kemps, Yellow Futurity, Wyoming, Cleopatha, Some others I can't think of right now don't get them. I can't think straight when I am sick. This sinus infection is about to get the best of me.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Prayers for your sinus;) I wish I had more garden time. I have the cannas you sent me planted and they ae actually looking really good. I can't wait for blooms. I haven't had tooo many leaf rollers here, I do get them in my beans.

plantlover

My beautiful Red Russian cannas have leaf rollers. I went out late in the evening yesterday checking my plants after the storm. I have lots of new blooms but my red Russians have leaf rollers. The only cure I know is a chemical. Has anyone else had them? If so what do you use. I need to get rid of them before they spred. They had to be in the soil, otherwise they wouldn't be here so soon. I only saw two plants. I need to spray before it gets too hot. I feel terrible but my babies need me. I am using Bayer Complete Insect Killer.

Oh man! I feel for you my friend! The same thing happened to me on several occasions. I think the first year I had my Russian Reds, the leaf rollers practically chewed them to the ground.

I found a great product at HEB that I use on everything, and it's organic. The active ingredient in it is Neem Oil! It's called Garden Safe 3-in-1. It's an insecticide, miticide and fungicide all in one. You may have to resort to something stronger though. Leaf rollers are hard as hell to get rid of. One of the things I ultimately wound up doing was picking them off by hand and then dropping them in a little bucket or container filled with soapy water.

You need to treat them NOW or you are not going to have any of your plant left. If you've got other cannas, they will move over to those when they've munched your Russian Reds to smithereens.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com