Appetizers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

To go along with the pot luck thread I thought this would be fun! Does anyone have any appetizers they would like to share?

Here is one of mine.

Spinach Balls

2 pkg. (10 oz. ea.) frozen chopped spinach (cooked, and squeezed dry)
1 large onion, chopped fine
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups Italian Style bread crumbs
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 grated swiss cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Shape into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25- 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Please post more! :)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mini Pigs in the Blanket

I like to take layered canned biscuits. Pull apart every couple of layers and wrap around a little smoke sausage. Bake at 400 on greased pan until biscuit part is done. Serve with several kinds of mustard. They are good for breakfast sometimes or just a snack.
Can spread a small amount of mustard inside the biscuit part and then wrap around the little smoked sausage.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
If any knows what cheese straws are and want me to post my recipe, let me know.

Jules

Here's a hot dip....

HOT HAMBURG SALSA DIP

1 lb hamburg
1 package taco seasoning
½ cup mayo
½ cup sour cream
1 package cream cheese
1 small bottle salsa (use 2/3’s the bottle if you don’t want the dip to be too runny)

Brown hamburg
Add ingredients
Put in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350F

Jules

and another dip....

Hot Broccoli Dip
(Pampered Chef’s recipe)​

6 oz (175 g) fresh broccoli florets, chopped (1 cup/250 mL)
2 tbsp (30 mL) onion, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) red pepper, chopped
1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (1/4 cup/50 mL), divided
1 clove garlic, pressed
4 oz (125 g) cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup/250 mL)
1/2 cup (125 mL) fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground black pepper
Baked Pita Chips or crackers

Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Chop broccoli, onion, and red pepper using Food Chopper; place in Classic Batter Bowl.
Grate Parmesan cheese using Deluxe Cheese Grater; add 2 tbsp/30 mL to batter bowl and garlic pressed with Garlic Press. Add cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and black pepper; mix well with Small Mix 'N Scraper™. Spoon mixture into Small Oval Baker.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over top and surround with Baked Pita Chips or crackers for serving.

richnkim

Those, sound good! Dale, post the recipe. I know what they are and I would love to have it. I will have to ost some more.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to help my friend at their appliance store this morning so will post the recipe later today.

A cheese straw is consists of grated sharp cheese, flour, butter, salt and red pepper. I use a cookie press to press out. I cookie press wreaths at Christmas, etc. You can roll in logs chill and slice to bake. It's a crispy cheese cookie and it's good to have at get togethers since it's a great snack for diabetics watching sugar. It's a Southern thing.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Armodilla Eggs

1 lb jalapeno peppers with tops cut off and seeded
1lb cream cheese
1 lb of good sausage I use Jimmy Dean regular or sage​

Fill peppers with cream cheese and wrap with sausage. Bake about 45-60 minutes untill sausage is done.
For anyone who love spicy stuff this is great. You can cut the peppers in 1/4 or 1/3 to make them bite size.

We always have these for any event and there is never enough

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to put out a fresh veggie tray. I put baby carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, green olives, and black olives. Gives everyone something healthy to snack on while we are cooking. You know the smell of the turkey and dressing and all makes a person really hungry. You can put out some ranch dressing for a dip.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smoked Fish Dip​

1/2 cup of any smoked fish.
( we use mullett since it is one of our market products but salmon works too!)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 finely chopped pepper
( may use hot or sweet depending on falvor you want, I use 1/4 sweet and 1/4 hot )
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 sour craem
Old Bay (to taste)

I mix the fish and the mayonaise and sour cream together first. This way I can get the fish kind of shredded. Also if I want to add more mayo or sour cream I can. Then I add veggiesmix well. Then do a little taste especially if you use hot peppers. Add old Bay seasoning to taste and salt and pepper.
Every batch I make turns out a little different due to the fish. We somke our own fish so freshness has a lot to do with the flavor as well. You will find this dip served at a lot of places here. Served with saltines, or captins wafers. In an eatery as an appitizer it will cost you $795 for an ice cream scoop size dish with crackers.
Really good though.
We also do a crab , or shrimp dip and a shrab(crab& shrimp together). When using shrimp you want to pulse them through a food processor before mixing them with the mayo and sour cream.

Wonderful super bowl dip!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Warm Spicy Sausage Cheese Dip​

1 lb Jimmy Dean Italian Sausga ( Or the sage is good too)
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chili's (DRAINED)
1 small onion diced
1- 8oz packge of creamed cheese

Brown sausage and drain well. In a crock pot combine sausage, softened cream cheese ( I put it in the microwave for about 1 minute), the rotel drained,and diced onion. Place in crock and warm. Stir to mix well. If you do not have a crock or want to rush this, just microwave making sure to stir to mix well.
We like to use the Frito scoops or tortilla chips.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com