April visit to Antique Rose Emporium garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

May 10, 2020
Byzantine_gladiolus-1.jpg

In early April I took a wildflower-hunting drive through the country east of Austin. I ended up driving out to Brenham and past The Antique Rose Emporium, which was open to visitors, so I stopped for a quick tour of the gardens, socially distanced of course. The fuchsia pennants of Byzantine gladiolus were flying.

Old_house_Rose_arch-1.jpg

Cottage garden charm around one of ARE’s many outbuildings

Face_fountain_Fig_ivy_wall_Frog-1.jpg

A zen moment

Garden_path-1.jpg

Jerusalem sage flowering under a leaning tree — some sort of fruit tree perhaps?

Purple_greenhouse-1.jpg

The purple greenhouse

Purple_greenhouse_Bench-1.jpg

Borage-1.jpg

Borage

Rose_arbor_Labyrinth_path-1.jpg

Brick labyrinth and rose trellis-tower

Bottle_tree_garden-1.jpg

Multicolored bottle tree and a cast-iron squirrel finial on a purple fence

Bottle_tree-1.jpg

A bottle tree is a must-have for any Southern garden, and ARE’s tree is tall and colorful.

Nursery_tables_Pot_arch-1.jpg

The nursery tables and arch made of braided terracotta pots

Succulent_dish-1.jpg

A pot of succulents within a pot of succulents

Indian_paintbrush_orchard-1.jpg

In an orchard across the road, orange-red Indian paintbrush pooled amid green grass studded with pale-pink flowers.

Indian_paintbrush-1.jpg

Possumhaw-1.jpg

Last winter’s berries still adorned a possumhaw holly, even as spring wildflowers sprang up at its feet.

Some of you reading this have been plunged back into winter this weekend, but spring will return soon. Meanwhile, Austin is enjoying a late-season, lovely cool day before we plunge back into early summer.

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post April visit to Antique Rose Emporium garden appeared first on Digging.

yd3KhCEGdHs

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back