Are There Gotta Have Annuals?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Interesting plant huh Veg..What kinds of songs did you get to sing with your sister?:) I haven't sang with my sisters in over 30 years...:(

Garden Goddess,
Must I start bougainvillea seed indoors in the pot it will live in? I don't think I can buy a plant locally.Id rather do the sowing anyway.

Take it outdoors at what temp? Then bring it in and let the blooms get all over the place*LOL Sounds like fun*lol
If the sun is out I get it South,East and West.

Kale:)

I just love bougainvilleas...I had one in CA...was three years old when we moved...but my sister had one in their courtyard that was huge and very lod...it was beautiful...but boy what a mess as fall came around...I remember when I was there in Oct 2003 taking care of her in her last days...we would sit out under it and sing...then a slight breeze would com eup and it would snow red blooms on us...

DEb.... you think snowing red blooms is a mess? You better rethink your idea of a mess;)

Kale, check out the bougainvillea in my album.

May the new year bring each of you the freshest of annuals.

I love annuals, they are easy to grow and quick to give color in the flower beds. Marigolds a lot of different varieties are one of my favorites to grow each year. I also plant marigolds in the vegetable garden.

Interesting plant huh Veg..What kinds of songs did you get to sing with your sister?:) I haven't sang with my sisters in over 30 years...:(

Garden Goddess,
Must I start bougainvillea seed indoors in the pot it will live in? I don't think I can buy a plant locally.Id rather do the sowing anyway.

Take it outdoors at what temp? Then bring it in and let the blooms get all over the place*LOL Sounds like fun*lol
If the sun is out I get it South,East and West.

Kale:)

Wow you ask as if you expect me to know the answer lol! Ha! From what I'm reading seeds are a very rare comodity. Cuttings are the most common method of propagation. Here's a link I found that has a ton of information.

http://www.southeasttexasgardening.info/bouginfo.htm

Dora/Garden Goddess

Must have for me #1 is Datura, it's an annual here that gets 5 feet tall and at least 5 feet around in one seaason with hundreds of big blooms. Others are cleome, annual alyssum, brazilian verbena, love in a mist(nigellia) kiss me over the garden gate, fortunately all of the above self sow every year in my gardens.

Annette I grew my first datura last year and I am 100% hooked. I started six different colors in the GH a few weeks ago. They smell SOOOO lovely. My favorite annual has always been geraniums. I’ve wintered over several plants and have started cuttings.

Do Cleomes smell bad? If they do I’d better rethink where I’ll plant mine. When we first moved here we kept getting this awful smell come in the kitchen window. It turned out to be Shasta daisies. Love the look of them and wouldn’t have a garden without them but OM Gosh not near the windows. LOL

favorite annuals that is a big question. there are petunias, I wonder where I can put them this year. maybe a new pot. and the marigolds, snapdragons which are not annuals here. bluebonnets, indian blanket (Have to thin them). I would like to put in some zinnias but where. I will stop there because I could go on forever I'm sure.

brugmansia, elephant ears, peruvian daffodils, cannas, fusion impatiens, marigolds, rosemary, dahilas, petunias and lavender. I always find new annuals to add this year I have a big list starting with polygala.

Black and Blue Salvia, the hummer love them and the blue is so intense.
Pentas, I had great luck with the ones I got last year, they don't require much care and flower great all summer.
Geraniums
Petunias
Marigolds
Impatiens.
It has been so spring-like lately, we went my favorite garden center on Saturday and I felt so good. It seems so wierd to not be working at a greenhouse or garden center...this is only the second spring in 32 years.

cleome or ET plant

My new love I started last year is cleome. I got 3 pink ones and they were so cool looking. I'll have those in my front flowerbed from now on. I saved some seeds so I hope I can get them to grow myself so I can have a bunch of them.
I love all the ones mentioned, too.

I loved cleomes from the first time I saw them. I could not find out the name so I used to call them ET plants. They looked like ET, with a purple head on a tall spine. I save seeds whenever I see them, especially when they have pink or white blooms. Some years they fill the garden, but even a few are lovely.

Rose White, author of
"Easy Gardens A to Z"

coleus in the shade

Gotta haves:
Celosia: It is a huge family of hybrids/cultivars! I prefer the Brain type growing to around 18" high! Plume types are nice too and come in a large selection of colors and shapes!
Mexican Hat zinnias: Short groundcover type with 2" single blooms various cultivars.
Scarlet Flax!<- up to 36" tall, very draught tolerant, will self seed so once you have them they will come up every year. Prefer full sun but not fussy as to soil type, good for poot soils! Flowers are very striking in the mixed garden.
Coleus --->Short/dwarf small leaf cultivars growing up to 18"<--my favorite, usually shorter. Great for small shady areas and in pots. For larger partial shaded areas look for mixed big leaf types which can grow 3' to 4' if you have rich well draining soil. Seeds are very easy to start in a soil-less mix

I love to raise coleus in my windowboxes in the woods. They are so colorful and the tiny blooms at the end of the season are sweet. Our county fair gave a blue ribbon to someone who grew several 3' coleus in a large pot. What an incredible sight!

Rose White, author of
"Easy Gardens A to Z"

I grew some Navajo salvia last year in the garden and in a big mixed pot that I grew. They are supposed to be zone 7-8 but I think that mine overwintered. They sure were pretty. And my Supertunias....well, they were outstanding last year. I will never buy another pack of just regular petunias...these took up ten times the space and required no care except for a little fertilizer every other week or so. I also grew regular seedling petunias...I had to pinch and deadhead them many times and they didn't perform nearly as well as the supertunias.
I am getting the garden center itch. A girlfriend and I are going to visit some the next few weeks. "Just Looking" of course.

My container flowers and hot peppers

I don't have much blooming in my garden or flower beds because of the heat but here's a few things I have growing in containers.

Attachments

• Family get-togethers002.JPG
    Family get-togethers002.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Family get-togethers003.JPG
    Family get-togethers003.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 366
  • Family get-togethers004.JPG
    Family get-togethers004.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Family get-togethers005.JPG
    Family get-togethers005.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 342
Nierembergia, Salvia Victoria Blue & Lantana

My three gotta haves in annuals! Nierembergia is a sweet little low border plant that comes in royal blue, or white. It looks like a delicate vine, but oh how it blooms. It stands up to hot and dry, and is great for sidewalk edges, plus NO deadheading!
Salvia Victoria Blue is the best cultivar of all salvias I've ever grown. While it has a smaller flower, thay are BRIGHT, and tall, and really stand out.
Especially if you clump them. Plus, they require NO care and little water. Although if you baby them, they'll become even bigger & tougher!
Lantana--well, in my zone it's an annual, but will stand up and bloom in a pot or in the ground. Butterflies love it! Loves hot and dry>All three of these are no fuss, no muss plants!

In summer I've got to have zinnias, marigolds and sunflowers, Winter it's stock, calendula and sweetpeas

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back