Are There Gotta Have Annuals?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Papa2mykids

This there a gotta have annuals(s) you plant?

One that makes your yard, makes you smile, you just gotta have?

Though I like and have many annuals (cosmos, zinnias, marigolds, impatiens, etc),

I gotta have red salvia.

Lots of red salvias at different heights.

The bright red livens up a yard and garden and, it attracts hummingbirds.

It is deer, rabbit and woodchuck resistant as well.

Does well in full sun and partial to light shade.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

M

Mari-Jo

Oh I agree..the Salvia is a must,that is one of the first ones you see as you drive into the yard, but one of my favorite is the Mexican Sunflower..........the Monarch's love it!

sassmuffin

Marigolds! Geraniums and impatients as well, didn't know that about the salvia (pest deterent). I love having the long lasting "work horse" annuals in the garden it's nice to have those sudden splashes of color as I go along.

oremudpie

Petunia's of every shape size and color..We have six big window boxes on our front porch 4 of which we fill with lots of petunia's or simply put Bling to show off to the world and then lots of them in my flower beds....I forget how many I bought last spring but it was bunches.......
melanie

deck chucker

My new love I started last year is cleome. I got 3 pink ones and they were so cool looking. I'll have those in my front flowerbed from now on. I saved some seeds so I hope I can get them to grow myself so I can have a bunch of them.
I love all the ones mentioned, too.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gotta haves:
Celosia: It is a huge family of hybrids/cultivars! I prefer the Brain type growing to around 18" high! Plume types are nice too and come in a large selection of colors and shapes!
Mexican Hat zinnias: Short groundcover type with 2" single blooms various cultivars.
Scarlet Flax!<- up to 36" tall, very draught tolerant, will self seed so once you have them they will come up every year. Prefer full sun but not fussy as to soil type, good for poot soils! Flowers are very striking in the mixed garden.
Coleus --->Short/dwarf small leaf cultivars growing up to 18"<--my favorite, usually shorter. Great for small shady areas and in pots. For larger partial shaded areas look for mixed big leaf types which can grow 3' to 4' if you have rich well draining soil. Seeds are very easy to start in a soil-less mix

swindy

My new love I started last year is cleome. I got 3 pink ones and they were so cool looking. I'll have those in my front flowerbed from now on. I saved some seeds so I hope I can get them to grow myself so I can have a bunch of them.
I love all the ones mentioned, too.

DC You will have no problem getting the cleome to grow, they are a very easy care plant. And they have already reseeded themselves, next spring the area that you had the plants in will be covered with green little sprouts, just thin them out when they are babies and as they grow pull all but the strongest ones leaving about 3 ft. around them and they will be beautiful. they also do fine transplanting them. If you want to grow them in other areas just broadcast the seeds

swindy

Ron I also love the Brain type of Celosia, They are also a very easy plant to grow. In my zone they don't break the soil until late June,but they will last until frost. Laurie that is the plant you saw at Ennios home while you were down here, that your loved.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another must have are:
Regal Larkspur (annual delphinium) - ( Delphinium consolida) Comes in a variety of colors, tend to grow to 36"to 48", higher if the soil is super rich. Deadhead often to force more blooms. Reseeds itself. Prefers full sun, but will tolerate partial shade. Various cultivars and hybrids.
Very easy annual to start either in the garden, or in in trays to plant out.
Some of the cultivars are amazing!

Check out http://www.tmseeds.com/ilist/group/delphinium.html

M

Mari-Jo

Wish I could grow delphinium, but just never had any luck.

Cleome, and Begonia's are another fav of mine............oh, and the Black Eye Susan Vine..............:)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wish I could grow delphinium, but just never had any luck.

Cleome, and Begonia's are another fav of mine............oh, and the Black Eye Susan Vine..............:)

Go with the annual delphiniums. Full sun! Good soil! They self seed so only need to sow the seeds once. <---just have to make sure you scatter the seeds around in the late summer!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't forget sunny marigolds. What would a garden be without a few of those. I also like petunias, and zinnias.

deck chucker

DC You will have no problem getting the cleome to grow, they are a very easy care plant. And they have already reseeded themselves, next spring the area that you had the plants in will be covered with green little sprouts, just thin them out when they are babies and as they grow pull all but the strongest ones leaving about 3 ft. around them and they will be beautiful. they also do fine transplanting them. If you want to grow them in other areas just broadcast the seeds

Ooo, thanks! I'll have to watch for the sprouts next year. :)

M

Mari-Jo

Go with the annual delphiniums. Full sun! Good soil! They self seed so only need to sow the seeds once. <---just have to make sure you scatter the seeds around in the late summer!

Thanks Ron........:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com