Are these roses dead?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I planted some dwarf roses a few years ago. They were about 2-4 feet high when they were planted in their current location (they had been planted elsewhere in the yard, a few years prior).

This spring/summer I've been distracted, and have not been watering much. My wife trimmed them back, to their current state, as can be seen in the pics. I'm wondering if they are dead, or will come back, either this year or next year, if watered from here on out.

paulrittman.com/Roses1.JPG

paulrittman.com/Roses2.JPG

paulrittman.com/Roses3.JPG

On the first pic, I put red lines to indicate the two possibly dead roses.

If they are dead, I'll simply take them out and replace them with new dwarf roses. If there is a chance that they can come back, I would prefer to work with them. At this point, there is no green on them at all, and they've been watered pretty well for a few weeks now.

What do folks here say?

Last edited:
I do have one more question.

Since they'll be replaced by new dwarf roses (the same plants as before), should I leave the old root system in the ground (should or could the new plants utilize it)?

Or should I entirely uproot the old system?

Best to remove the whole dead plant, and then amend the soil with some compost, and well aged manure.
Doing this will give the new plants a good start!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back