Asters ?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

I have several of the New England Asters and they grow so tall that they flop over. They are in mostly shade, they do get a little afternoon sun. I was wondering if they can be cut back now? They have woody stems and the oldest one is so tall its already flopping over. Another one is still standing tall and straight for now but it to will flop over soon. They are the blue ones. My pink/red ones don't do that. Now that I think of it the pink/red ones are in full sun. Would that make a difference?

Asters are native to meadows and open fields where they receive full sun and often dry conditions.

Plants that require full sun will make every attempt to reach it and that makes for tall, floppy plants that have poor blooms.

Move them if you can and yes, cutting back will help, but they will still reach for the sun.

Growers cut back plants to make for a bushy and showier plant to sell.......... you can do this too if you want some of your plants shorter.

Butterlies enjoy asters and the sun as well.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

Thanks Papa2my kids, I moved some of them 2 week ago and we have had a lot of rain and cool weather since then and they are doing great. I'm going to trim some of the others back.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back