Recipe Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

M

Marie

Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies

One of my favourite things to bake is cookies and these thick and soft Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies now top my list of favourites. Full of chocolate flavor and loaded chocolate chips, these are simply the best and there’s nothing better than an oven-fresh baked cookie.
Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-5.jpg

So, you’re looking for the perfect cookie right?! Well, you found it. These Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies are simply the perfect cookie.

Thick, fudgy, rich and totally indulgent, this chocolate cookie will rival all chocolate cookies and (just quietly) it’s my new kryptonite.

What Makes This Chocolate Chip Cookie So Good?

One of the things I love about cookies is how easy they are to make – and these are no different – but what sets these apart from any other cookie you’ve ever had is the 3 levels of chocolate that goes into the dough.

• Cocoa (I used Dutch processed cocoa for a darker colour)
  • Chocolate chips
  • Melted semi-sweet chocolate

Yep, you heard correctly – chocolate gets melted and mixed right into the cookie dough making these the fudgiest and most ultra-chocolatey cookies you’ve ever tasted.

Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-2.jpg

How To Make Thick Cookies

These Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies are nice and thick with a soft centre which is all thanks to a couple of tricks. The first is chilling the dough. The colder the cookie dough before it goes into the oven, the less it will spread so don’t skip chilling the dough.

The second trick is one I learnt recently that Americas Test Kitchen uses. The balls of cookie dough are split in two and then one half is stacked on top of the other (see below). Genius!

The extra height means that as the base of the cookie spreads out, the other half of the dough neatly drops down on top keeping it thicker in the centre and perfectly soft.

Is there anything quite like a still warm cookie straight from the oven filled with gooey chocolate chips? Yum

Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-PROCESS.jpg

FAQ

Tips for making the very best chocolate chip cookies

• Measure ingredients correctly: Baking is a science so exact quantities are very important. I love using a scale to weigh ingredients but you can also check out this post on how to measure flour if you don’t have a scale.
  • Use semi-sweet chocolate: This darker-than-milk-chocolate has a richer flavour but is not as sweet as milk chocolate so if you want a truer chocolate flavour semi-sweet is the way to go. Even if you don’t like eating semi-sweet chocolate on it’s own, you’ll still adore these cookies.
  • Cool the melted chocolate: Allow the melted chocolate to cool to around room temperature (or still melted but not warm) before adding it to your butter and sugar. If you don’t, the butter will melt and you’ll have batter instead of dough.
  • Use a cookie scoop: Not only is it easier, it also results in cookies that are all the same size (no one wants to be the person left with the smallest cookie).
  • Chill the dough: Ok, I’m repeating myself but it’s worth it. Cookie dough that isn’t chilled will spread more making thinner, crispier cookies. This recipe is chilled before and after being scooped ensuring perfect texture every time. With the melted chocolate in there, it definitely needs this chilling time.
  • Use the middle shelf in the oven: Not the bottom shelf where it’s generally hottest. The middle shelf in the oven will get the perfect airflow all around the cookies so they cook evenly.
  • Give them space on the trays: The cookies will spread so leave a good 2 inches between them. This allows the air to flow around them so they bake more evenly.
  • Add a few chocolate chips to the top right before baking: This will make the cookies extra pretty when they’re done and shows everyone what’s inside. Plus, it’s an extra dose of chocolate – which can never be wrong. I like to use milk chocolate chips on the tops for the pretty color contrast.

Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-4.jpg

Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies?

You can absolutely freeze these cookies – both baked and unbaked – just another thing that makes cookies amazing. Here’s how;

• Unbaked: Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Sit the balls of dough on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place them in the freezer for about an hour until firm. Now just transfer them to an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for 2 to 3 months, max.
  • Baked: Once baked just place them in a zip lock bag or an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Bring them to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before eating.

While it may be easiest to freeze them once they’ve already been baked, you’ll retain the best flavor and freshness by freezing them unbaked. In my opinion, the dough can be frozen longer than baked cookies too.

To bake them from frozen, just place them on a baking tray, preheat the oven then bake them a minute or two longer than the time stated in the recipe.

Seriously, the freezer is my best friend and especially at this time of year. I love to get ahead of the game and prep some cookie dough. Shhh, not at all because it means I can randomly throw a cookie in the oven when I have a craving.

Ahem!

Anyway, along with these bakery-style chocolate cookies, try these Chocolate M&M Cookies or maybe some Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies to get ahead this year.

Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-1.jpg
Go on. You know these perfectly soft, thick and fudgy chocolate cookies are calling your name. They’re definitely calling mine – think it’s time for another batch.

For more amazing cookie recipes, check these out

Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies

Bakery-Style-Chocolate-Cookies-5-280x360.jpg

One of my favourite things to bake is cookies and these thick and soft Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies now top my list of favourites. Full of chocolate flavour and loaded chocolate chips, these are simply the best and there’s nothing better than an oven-fresh baked cookie.

Make sure to plan ahead to allow for chilling time.

• 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 ounces 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate
  • 2 large eggs (whisked)
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • extra chocolate chips for topping
  1. In a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 1 minute.
  2. Add the white and brown sugar and beat 1-2 more minutes until fluffy.
  3. Add 2/3 cup high quality chocolate chips or baking chocolate to a small bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of water simmering on the stove. Stir until it is getting smooth. Let it sit for 1 minute to cool just a little. Pour the chocolate into the batter. Beat the chocolate into the dough.
  4. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well, scraping the edges and bottom of the bowl.
  5. Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine. Beat the dry ingredients into the dough.
  6. Add the chocolate chips. You can use any combination but we like semi sweet and milk or semi sweet and dark.
  7. Cover the mixing bowl and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill the dough. Takeout the dough and using the America’s Test Kitchen way, scoop 1/4 cup, break the dough ball in half and stack the two pieces on top of each other. Place the shaped cookies onto a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  8. Once the dough has chilled, heat the oven to 375.
  9. Bake for 10-11 minutes. DO NOT over bake.
  10. Cool for at least 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack as the cookies will take a minute to set up.

READ: Bakery Style Chocolate Cookies

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com