Banana Tree leaf tearing (watering)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

PRH

Now, to me this 1 is unusual:
Does anyone know why the leaves of this plant cry/have tears or water?
I have had this plant for awhile now and everyday it does this! ( I have a cousin who is a social worker and joked about having her giving it some counciling ) :p
- I would like to know the reason though and if by chance anyone knows,do they also know how this can be controlled as well??
Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, to me this 1 is unusual:
Does anyone know why the leaves of this plant cry/have tears or water?
I have had this plant for awhile now and everyday it does this! ( I have a cousin who is a social worker and joked about having her giving it some counciling ) :p
- I would like to know the reason though and if by chance anyone knows,do they also know how this can be controlled as well??
Thanks so much!!!

A lot of tropical houseplants weap.
This happens when they are overwatered and it is their way to get rid of excess moisture. This occured over night and you notice the beads of water along the edge of the foliage in the morning.

If you have the plant near wood furniture the beads may fall and mark the finish.

Solution to this natural process is to cut back on the watering.

Good article Kya!

Kya D

Thanks Ron
I can't raise tropicals here (lack of room)
But the article seemed to make good sense

PRH

That was interesting! ( I just never ran into that sorta thing in life - 'first time for anything,I guess )
Thanks guys, I can relax now and I can tell my cousin to relax too! :cool:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In addition to the above:
When using water soluable fertilizer a white mark occures along the edge of the foliage. The white powdery deposit shows up once the water evaporates...it tells me that the plant actually absorbs the fertilizer and deposits the excess....which outdoors would be washed off during a rain!
Just a bit of trivia for you!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com