BBQ recipes?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gonepostal

How about some of your favorite BBQ recipes? What I consider the ol' tried & true potato salad here in "Patten, ME" will be totally different than what your "tried & trues" are.
For instance--I grew up with potato salad being made out of "diced" potatoes. Never had one made out of mashed potatoes until I got married and moved 20 miles away!!!!!:eek: It was fantastic!
So now I'm looking for some "new" potato, pasta or "jello" salads to take to the cook outs. Or different desserts.
Whatever "favorite" BBQ recipe you have---might give the rest of us a change from the "ol' favorites in our area!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
We use crab for this but being in ME you might want to use Lobster ( Yes Randy I said it) I just wing the amounts to taste;)

Maccaroni cooked
fresh picked crab or lobster ( sometimes I add shrimp and scallops too)
finely diced jalapenos
finely chopped red peppers
finely chopped onions
1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream just enough to coat all the ingreidents.
lightly season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
I like to use course ground pepper
when I say finely chopped in mean tiny. Make sure the crab is shredded really fine also and the other fishes are chopped small.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Favorite cuke salads

chunk cut cukes
thinly sliced bermuda onions
cherry tomatoes

mix together. Make a package of Ranch dip mix using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream. Toss on veggies and serve

diced cukes
diced onions
chopped cilantro
toss together. sprinkel heavy with lime juice. season with cracked pepper and sea salt.

gonepostal

We use crab for this but being in ME you might want to use Lobster ( Yes Randy I said it) I just wing the amounts to taste;)

Maccaroni cooked
finely diced jalapenos
finely chopped onions
when I say finely chopped in mean tiny. Make sure the crab is shredded really fine also and the other fishes are chopped small.

You're a brave girl Crabber(the L word) LOL;):D
This sounds like a great recipe--will try this! Thanks!

Cuke salads sound good too-and easy-------I like easy!!!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member

Maccaroni cooked
finely diced jalapenos
finely chopped onions

LOL Yep, I saw it. I thought I would hear some comment from Curbie when I posted a puppy shot of Prince Charming instead of the RW.

Attachments

• Rotten_Woman_award[1]_preview.jpg
    Rotten_Woman_award[1]_preview.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 333

Dor

Pasta Salad

Boiled pasta (your choice)
Chopped tomatoes
sliced red onion
chopped cucumbers
chopped red pepper
salad supreme seasoning
zesty Italian dressing.

I sometimes add, cubed cheese, boiled shrimp, and cubed chicken.
Best if allowed to sit overnight in fridge

Potato salad
Peeled and boil cubed potatoes
chopped onion
chopped pimentos(small amount)
mayo and a bit of prepard mustard
boiled sliced eggs
sweet pickle relish

Mix all ingredients, season with salt and pepper, saved some eggs to slice on top. Add more seasonings to fit your taste.

I don't measure so can't tell you the amounts.

Spider_Lily

Dor I make my potato sald like yours but add some chopped onion and a sprinkle of sugar to add a tiny bit of sweetness.
I make a seven layer salad its easy and very good.

Seven Layer Salad

1- small onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper diced
1-8 oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
1-can English peas
1-head of lettuce shredded
1-pkg.bacon fried and crumbled
1-cup of ranch dressing
1/2teaspoom of sugar or sweetner of choice
3-boiled egg's chopped

1 st Layer lettuce,onion,peas,pepper,cheese,bacon egg's.Mix ranch dressing and sugar or sweetner of choice. pour half over first layer.Then repeat layer's
pour the rest of dressing on top of all laters and top off with cheese.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last Nights new cuke salad

Sliced cukes
cracked olives
slcied onions
olive oil
rice wine vinegar
pepper and salt

It was really good

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like this very simple cole slaw..shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes and enough cole slaw dressing to bring it all together...salt and pepper to taste.

Dor

Does anyone have a recipe for a hot crab dip? I sure would like to have it. Will you please post it?

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor I make my potato sald like yours but add some chopped onion and a sprinkle of sugar to add a tiny bit of sweetness.
I make a seven layer salad its easy and very good.

Seven Layer Salad

1- small onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper diced
1-8 oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
1-can English peas
1-head of lettuce shredded
1-pkg.bacon fried and crumbled
1-cup of ranch dressing
1/2teaspoom of sugar or sweetner of choice
3-boiled egg's chopped

1 st Layer lettuce,onion,peas,pepper,cheese,bacon egg's.Mix ranch dressing and sugar or sweetner of choice. pour half over first layer.Then repeat layer's
pour the rest of dressing on top of all laters and top off with cheese.

I make my salad mostly like this but I use low fat mayo, 2% shredded cheese, baco's, celery, and radishes, and peas. I don't like low fat ranch dressing and I don't use real bacon anymore. It still is a favorite of the neighborhood. They ask me to bring it to our block parties.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor,

So easy
Picked crab lump meat- about one cup ( you can use claw meat too but that never seems to make it in the dip ;)) or you can use soft shell crabs that have been grilled it makes a really nice smokey flavor. I just run them through the food processor if I use soft shells.Or stone crab claws, worst case use imitation crab meat but I never do.
4 oz cream cheese ( Must be real cream cheese not Nufatchel or no fat)
finely diced jalapenos
finely dice onions
finely diced red peppers
a little milk
I use JO spice most crabbers and fish houses have it. If not you can use something like Chulula brand or even Emrils spices. It is mostly just ground red peper and garlic with lots of salt so you have to be careful not to over use it. If you want to not use a commercial spice, use red ground pepper, garlic and salt to taste. You can add a very small amount of liqiud smoke but not too much as it will over power the crab.The idea with the spice is not to take away from the crab so easy does it.

First I soften the cream cheese in the microwave. Then I add the other stuff and kind of mix it together good. Now you can do this 2 ways. You can short cut back to the microwave or you can use a small crock pot. If I am having a party and want to keep it warm I use the crock pot. If it's just me & tim I use the microwave. Re-heat until it begins to get really soft ( be sure not to over microwave it , depending on your microwave you just have to baby sit it until you see it soften) then begin adding small amounts of milk mixing it in by hand until you get the consistancy you want. You can adjust up or down the amount of crab depending on how crabby you want the dip. This dip can also be cooled and used as a cold dip . When we have plenty crab I make it mostly crab and less other stuff and use it as a bread bowl dip. You can add or take away from the basic recipe. I have a friend who use veleta instead but I think it over powers the crab. ;)

palmettogal

Fire N Ice Summer Salad

1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp horseradish
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1 med green pepper, cut into thin strips
1 sm red onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
1 jalapeno, chopped fine
3 large tomatoes cut into chunks
2 med cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin

Combine vinegars, sugar, salt, horseradish, celery seed, and mustard seed in a small saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place green pepper, onion, jalapeno, and tomatoes into a bowl. Pour hot vinegar and sugar mix over. Let COOL.

Add sliced cucumbers, stir, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours. Use slotted spoon to drain off excess liquid when serving.
This is really good and keeps well. Make sure to slice the vegetables thinly. I'm not a horseradish fan and wasn't sure I'd like this recipe, but the finished product is perfectly balanced and not overpowering. Just the right mix of "fire and ice".

Recipe came from www.deepsouthdish.com

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com