Beginners Guide to Organic Gardening

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Cooldude33

Gardening, in an organic way, is mainly a combination of different essential elements. Fertile soil, natural manure, natural seeds, sufficient sunlight and clean water is all that makes a garden an organic one. It is difficult to shift from garden to organic garden as many factors have already done the damage. So, if you are planning to grow your own garden, opt for an organic one.

Here are few tips which will help you grow your own organic farm of for that instance an organic garden-

Start Small: It is mostly seen that people get excited initially and find a large landscape to practice organic gardening. But this is not recommended as after some days they start to lose their interest. Hence, start with a small piece of land as managing large area can be troublesome.

Creating Soil Bed: Plants and trees have a set of requirements which help them grow. So, before planning anything further, prepare soil beds according to the plants you have planned. Water content, nutrient value, soil colors are some elements to look for.

Seeds: One of the main things to look for is the seeds. Avoid using Genetically Modified (GM) seeds and use natural seeds. Modified seeds often grow quick and yield more as compared to natural seeds, but these may not be of good quality. Nutrient level is quite low for yields with GM seeds.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting these tips and promoting organics cooldude! Glad to see you have an interest in organics.

I agree starting slow and small is good for someone who has not had any experience in organics. If one does decide to go "cold Turkey" do not get disappointed if the results you were hoping for are not what you get. Going organic is a learning process and is not for everyone. And results are gradual but the benefits are life long.

After 30 years of being an organic gardener, I still have trouble with my husband not realizing that organic "pesticide" practices are not instant gratification in most cases. In other words you will not see your pest twitch in agony before your very eyes. Most organic remedies work on some form of deprivation, slow suffocation or detering them rather than instant death.

In addition , if ones intent is to go organic ( this is a controversial subject with many, but I feel if it is altered from it's original state it is no longer organic), a GE or GM seed is not considered organic as it has been modified from it's natural state.

composting is, in my opinion, a must for anyone who is serious about maintain and organic garden. Not only is it a way to control what goes into your garden but it goes hand in hand with protecting the environment and making good use of what nature has to offer.Be a good steward to the earth and yourself.

Happy organic gardening to all!

Wombat

Great posts both of ya! I fully concur with what you're both saying, always have and always will be an organic gardener with a little permaculture thrown in too!

Wombat

Oh yeah Nancie I agree. Most folk think organic's are ''too hard" or maybe it's too easy to spray with something nasty and get rid of the problem rather than find out how the problem came about in the first place.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Steven Michael

Here all these information which you share with us are really amazing. These all tips are very helpful its a way to control what goes into garden and how can resolve these kind of Issues. Thanks for sharing with us.

Vopato

For long I want to grow a organic garden at the back of my home but not able to do because I didn't have that much knowledge but these tips are quite helpful and now I will try again....thanks buddy...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com