Best way to keep Aphelandra (zebra) plant from growing fast

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I just found a nice, leafy indoor plant: Aphalandra Squarrosa. It is currently in a 5 inch plastic pot (the one I bought it in), but I will pot it soon.

My issue: I want it on the top of my computer desk. The lady at Home Depot said it would grow to about 3 feet. That is ok. If it gets really big, I can put it on the floor, but I really want it on my desk for as long as I can possibly get away with it. My desk sits up against a big window facing the north. I live in southern California.

What can I do, to keep it from growing too quickly? Of course I want to give it all the water and nutrients it needs---I just don't want to speed up the growing. Any tips? again, I can put up with any growth it does, so I don't want to starve it---I just don't want to give it quick gro vitamins or whatever.

Not an easy question to answer. You could always take cuttings, and pot them up, if and when it gets to large for your desk. This way you will always have a smaller/shorter plant.
Aphalandra squarrosa is not a reliable houseplant and tend to be short lived depending on the care they receive. Overwatering and underwatering usually do them in!

OK, then I'll give up this idea of trying to stunt its growth.

I found a page that has care tips: http://www.houseplantsexpert.com/zebra-plant.html

It says keep the soil moist, but don't let it get waterlogged. So I should be sure the pot has a hole at teh bottom for drainage?

Also, on fertilizer. The tag says monthly during spring, summer, and fall; the page I linked to says every 2 weeks during spring and summer. That seems a bit much, but I'll do it if it is best for teh plant. Your thoughts?

It says keep the soil moist, but don't let it get waterlogged. So I should be sure the pot has a hole at the bottom for drainage?
For this plant good drainage is essential!
As to fertilzing, you can use a weaker solution during the active growing season.

One more question. I read in one page, that it likes to be slightly cramped in the pot (in other words, not to repot it, but let the roots get tight).

Is this actually the case? And if so, how do I know when to repot it?

If you pop the plant out of its pot and all you see is roots, then it is root bound, and tight.
If you see a lot of soil then the root system is still developing.

Would you recommend waiting to repot, until it becomes rootbound? It has grown noticeably since I first bought it. The pot is 6 inches in diameter at the top; and the pot is roughly 5 inches top to bottom. The plant itself--the tallest leaf is just under 9 inches; the widest expanse from one side to the other is 19 inches (measuring the tip of one leaf, to the tip of the leaf on the opposite side).

I can upload a pic if you'd like.

Sounds like you are doing well with your plant!
No need to repot until all you see is roots when you pull it from the pot (do not do that very often, but do check the drainage holes monthly...if you see a lot of roots coming out of the holes you can pull the plant to see how rootbound it is!) . Then you will use the next size up pot.....but. that will be down the road!

Yes, it sure looks healthy. What were newly sprouted leaves when I first got it, are now leaves that are some 5-6 inches long. And there are new sprouts of leaves growing in between those leaves, as well. This is JUST the sort of green, beautiful plant that I've been wanting. OK I'll do what you suggested. I will watch the roots and repot when they are visible out the hole. Thanks for your help, Ron. Always appreciated.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back