Bird egg

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

What kind of bird egg is this? It looks like a robins egg but I didn't think they would build a nest in a purple martin birdhouse. The blackbirds are trying to take over the house and I think maybe they have succeeded. It sure is a job to keep them out. Anybody else have trouble with other birds trying to nest in purple martin houses? How do you keep them out?

Attachments

• Egg 2.jpg
    Egg 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 301

Maggie

These are the ugliest birds I have ever seen. He/she seemed to like my birdhouse. He just parked there and didn't want to leave. Buford finally had to shoot at him to get him to leave.

Attachments

• Vulture 2.jpg
    Vulture 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Vulture 1.jpg
    Vulture 1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 305

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turkey Vultures are illegal to shoot here in Maine
I saw a bluebird in March but have not seen any since.. :(
the swallows try to take over the bluebird houses here

Maggie

I don't think its a eastern bluebird egg..This is an eastern bluebird egg and a robin and starling eggs. So I woud say it's either a robin or starling. I sure hope its not a starling I would hate to think they are nesting in my purple martin house.

Attachments

• Eastern Bluebird egg 1.jpg
    Eastern Bluebird egg 1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 295
  • robin_egg_starling_egg.jpg
    robin_egg_starling_egg.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 299

Kya D

I don't know Maggie the bluebird egg is longer and the robin has a rounded end. Your pic looks longer and not a flat/rounded end.
I truly have no clue

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are the ugliest birds I have ever seen. He/she seemed to like my birdhouse. He just parked there and didn't want to leave. Buford finally had to shoot at him to get him to leave.

Vultures will rob nest of birds. They are the scum of the bird world. opportunist at every chance. I love to photograpgh them , as even as ugly as they are you can get wonderful shots because they are not scared of humans. I have them hanging in my garden and not sure why. There are no fish remains there now and nothing that should attract them.

Maggie

Turkey Vultures are illegal to shoot here in Maine
I saw a bluebird in March but have not seen any since.. :(
the swallows try to take over the bluebird houses here

The only reason he didn't shoot him was because I was afraid he would blow my birdhouse away.

I love the bluebirds and the swallows to. Did you know that purple martins and swallows were in the same family?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com