Black thumb from upstate NY

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

LAMARQ

Hello, new here. I LOVE beautiful flowers and gardens, but I have tried and failed to grow my own. I have basic flowers here and there in the yard (hanging baskets), but would love to have a garden that pops and adds to my curb appeal and back yard sanctuary. Most of my yard is a hill and I'm hoping to learn about ground cover for the extreme hilly areas as it's impossible to mow.

Thank you for such a wonderful forum.

Okay... off to look around and gain knowledge! :)

Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum. I am sure we can help you fix your hill up so it will be easy to maintain and look good too!
See you around the forum!

Can you tell us what the sun exposure your hilly backyard gets? Are there areas of shade?
Need to know the type of soil, and the direction on which way the backyard faces (whether it faces north/south, east/west)
With this we will be better able to suggest which perennials will do well.

Hi Karen jump right in and learn something from all of us. We will learn just as much from you. Glad to have you here.

Karen welcome to our family.
If you would like sedum for a ground cover I have some I could send.
Just let me know.

I also have Hollyhock seeds that I could send to you... they are pretty easy to grow as long as they don't stay too wet and they have great appeal.

hi Karen, Im in upstate NY, so welcome to the forum .......try to visit your local extension office to get some ideas on groundcovers......they all do well upstate....
bobbi

Welcome Karen to the forum. Jump right in and get your hands dirty....
I'll be in White Lake NY on the 26th and in Kingston, NY around the 17th of Sept.

Welcome to the forum! :D I wish our yards were hilly but they're just flat. Hills sound like fun!

Welcome to the forum! :D I wish our yards were hilly but they're just flat. Hills sound like fun!

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I guess the old saying "the grass is always greener..." I would love flat.

I'm trying to sell the house and the hill has chased away 2 prospects. :mad:

I'll have to post a pic of the 2 steepest areas and get some ideas.

Can you tell us what the sun exposure your hilly backyard gets? Are there areas of shade?
Need to know the type of soil, and the direction on which way the backyard faces (whether it faces north/south, east/west)
With this we will be better able to suggest which perennials will do well.

I just realized so many of you offered up some ideas and things to send. Thank you very much.

The areas are shadey most of the day (morning) and sunny mid-late afternoon until sun set. I believe the hills face the south.

I'm not sure about the type of soil. Currently the hills are covered with grass.

I'll take a couple pics tomorrow and post them.

Yup so keep an eye out.:) :) :)
Goats are getting really expensive around here but if you lived closer we sure could get ya one.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back