Blue Sea Holly

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sfishergirl

Does anyone grow this? I like the way it looks but want to know more about it. How does it perform? Is it easy to start from seeds? What other plants do you grow alongside it?

Do you have a latin name? Sorry, but I know that there are sea hollies that are perennials and hollies that are shrubs. Common name confuse me, althought now they are changing all of the latin names too, which is also confusing.

I think it is cool too! I saw some starters one time and bought them thinking I would have a cool plant to not only take care of,but to look at as well. After about a month of them being in the pot,a chipee ( chipmonk ) decided to help him/herself in the pot and things never were the same again! ( yes,I had a funeral ) I never replaced trying the plant over again,I sorta got alittle vengence out for those darn chipee's around here! ( Yes,they are cute as Christmas,but distructive as all get out not only to plants,but with just about anything I happen to think is nice!! :rolleyes:

Best of luck

Last edited:
Great, now that we know who we are dealing with we can work it into your landscape. Sorry I am a fanatic for latin names. Where are you thinking about incorporating it? It is nice in a perennial border. I know nothing about your yard or what you are thinking about. They are very different.

Looks like it is best propagated by division. They are cool, but I am not a fan of anything that looks like a thistle, ha. But this one doesn't self seed, so you are safe. My boss in Ontario loved all of this type of stuff, I should ask her to join here.

I had plans for a great flower bed around the front porch but as luck woul dhave it when the snow melted the sidewalk only leaves me about 6 inches of dirt in fron of the front porch so now I only have the one short end of the porch that continues all the way down the side of the house and shed. Now I have about at least the length of a football if not more to do something with. The only thing there are a couple of nasty looking shrubs. The house is white with blue trim so I was kinda thinking right by the porch white flowering and then start with blue where the house is white. I live in an area where ppl dont bother much planting flowers/herbs unless they have a use for them. Anything I do will look better

Yes I have it in one of my gardens, same plant has been there for at least 10 years. It's in a mostly sunny spot.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back