Blueberry Syrup

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Here is the recipe that my daughter and I used the other day.

Blueberry Syrup

16 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tblsp. lemon juice
6 cups sugar

Crush the berries. (I used my emersion blender and pureed them.) Mix the berries and the lemon juice together in a large pot.. Bring the berries to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the berries and let them cool enough to handle, then strain them again through cheesecloth. Discard pulp. To the juice add, the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes. Fill hot sterlized jars with syrup. Process in a hot water bath canner for 10 minutes. This mixture made 12 half pints. If you do not want to process them to can you must store the syrup in the refrigerator.

You can also make this syrup using other berries. I am going to make strawberry syrup. :)

richnkim

Your welcome, Dale. Is there anything that you make with blueberries that you would like to share! My daughter loves blueberries!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I make blueberry conserve and blueberry jam. The jam is just the recipe that comes with a box of pectin. The conserve is a recipe found in the Ball Blue Book of Canning. I had to look up the definition of conserve and it is a fruit preserved in sugar, but it will have more that one fruit in it. The conserve I made had the blueberries for a main ingredient, but it also had the zest of lemon and orange along with the fruit from both.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't posted it because it is in the book, but I can. I made that as a result of a query from a fellow senior citizen from church. He knew I did jams and canning so he asked me about blueberry toppings for ice cream. I told him that I would use blueberry jam on vanilla ice cream and it was really good, but I did some research and found several toppings and I did make the conserve. I gave him a jar to try and didn't hear anything for awhile so I asked one day how it turned out. He apologized all over the place for not getting back to me, but he forgot that I was the one that gave it to him. He thought he had gotten it from a lady in our group that happens to be a farm wife and a master canner although her training in that was not from an extension office but from living on a farm all her life. I thought it was humorous that he forgot. But he did say that it was an excellent topping.

Last edited:

richnkim

I am sure it would be good on ice cream! If you don't want to post it, Randy, I understand. I can look it up. I hope to get some blueberries when we go up to our son's house. In CA. LOL!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had to go upstairs and get the book. I think I only made a single batch and gave away all the jars but one. I think I sent two jars to Bobbi (Woodstock) back in New York. She thought they were pretty good stuff.

Blueberry Conserve

2 cups of water
4 cups of sugar
1/3 cup thinly sliced lemon (about 1/2 large)
1/2 cup thinly sliced orange (about 1/2 medium)
1/2 cup raisins
1 quart blueberries

Bring water and sugar to a boil; add lemon, orange and raisins. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries. Cook rapidly almost to gelling point. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot conserve into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust lids. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

I have erred. This is not the recipe I used, but it is quite similar. I did not use any raisins in the conserve that I made. This recipe does not use the lemon or orange zest as I did in the batch that I made. The next time I make it though, I will use this recipe and I will add the raisins. I like that idea. I think the zest I used was about a teaspoon of the orange and a teaspoon of the lemon.

richnkim

Randy, this sounds good. I think that I like the lemon and orange slices. Not sure about the raisins though.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to try them, but will make only one batch until I know how it comes out.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I would care for raisins in with my blueberries.
Randy's blueberry jam over vanilla ice cream is yummy. He makes awesome rootbeer floats too

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Times have changed though, Laurie. I haven't had a sip of real pop since I found out I have diabetes. I don't feel deprived though. I have bought some diet pop and I have one of those occasionally. But I still have some Verner's that I bought a couple of years ago. I need to tell Ari that they are all up for grabs as I won't be having them any more.

I will still try the raisins in that conserve though. I do like raisins and I think they will enhance the recipe. If I find otherwise, I will delete them for subsequent batches. Our dietician at diabetes support group though tonight told me she would like to sit in on a jamming session. I told her I would be happy to do that, but she is a woman that holds down a full-time job, has small children and is a homemaker. I mentioned that to her and she acknowledged that as the situation. But I will still be happy to have her if she wants. At least she can see that it isn't nearly as complicated as it seems.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy you are a lot like my husband. When he found out he was diabetic he took control of his eating as you have. That is the best way to live a better fuller life.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a bit of a pain sometime, but I don't think I have suffered any. Quite the contrary really, I feel better and look forward to getting outside and doing things around here a lot more.

richnkim

Yes, you do feel better when you take care of yourself. I slip back sometimes and I start to feel bad. It is just so hard to keep on track sometimes.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got a lot of work done outside yesterday and I know that two years ago, I would not have even considered doing what I did.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
There must be some around. I'm generally behind my camera, but MF takes a few pictures too. I'll see what I can find.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com