Bradford Pear Tree / Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford'

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tracey

To either side and out to the front of my front porch stands a Bradford Pear Tree. They were there when we bought the house 5 years ago. Our neighbor is the mother of the lady that built the house and planted the trees so I know they are the same age. I was looking around and I found information that says to mulch and fertilize them. [

My questions arise from the the fact that one of them is much larger/taller than the other. I will be mulching in the fall as I intend to plant flower beds under the canopy of each. I would like them to be somewhat symetrical. Looking at my house from the road, which is 4 acres away.. it looks lopsided. Should I just fertilize the smaller one to see if it will at least try to catch up to the other?

I appreciate any help offered.. :)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can prune the larger of the two!
You can do it now, since the trees are pretty much finished growing for the year.
By all means fertilize the smaller of the two, but do this in the late winter rather then now!
Fertilizing now will cause new growth, but this new growth will not be ripe enough when the trees shed their foliage for the year!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com