Breakfast potluck

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

I have never attended a potluck at breakfast time.
Does anyone have a good recipe that I can make the night before cuz I can't get up earlier to make something that morning.
Thanks

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is the recipe that sunflower gave me for it
my friend melts the butter and pours it over it instead of dipping each one
i've tried to both ways and didn't see any difference
i have also tried it with the packaged biscuits, i do like the bread one better
you can search on the net too for ways to make it, i found the biscuit one and the bread one
i put the sugar and cinnamon in a bag and shook the pieces to coat them, i did this on the one that i poured the butter over as my friend said she did it that way. i had never heard of it. i brought some to work and everyne said oh i love it, we have it alot on holidays is what ppl said about it

You can use 2 loaves of frozen bread dough unthawed or make white bread dough. (I make mine and dont let it rise)
1 stick of butter melted, cool a little so don't burn fingers.
2 cups sugar and about 2 TBLS cinnamon
roll out the dough to 1/4-1/2 inch and cut with circle cutter, then dip each piece in the butter then the sugar mixture, place in a pan ( i use a bunt pan) the dough will fill the pan up, just keep going around the pan in one layer, i push them together if i have to. let rise about 30-45 min, bake 350* 30 mins, cool and remove from pan and eat very YUMMY cake.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just saw a think on Paula Deen's show the other day that looked good. She made sausage balls and a dip to go with it. She took a pound of sausage, 3 cups of baking mix (Bisquick). 4 cups of grated cheddar cheese, and a little pepper and mixed all that up with her hands in a bowl. She formed balls of the mixture about the size of ping-pong balls and baked then on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with cooking spray. The dip was made with a cup of mayonnaise and a tablespoon of mustard. I might be inclined to use horseradish though instead of or along with the mustard. These could be prepared ahead, but would have to be nuked to warm them up again.

Dor

I haven't made this in years and don't have made it in years and don't quite remember the exact measurements.

1 lb package of owens or your favorite sausage cooked
8-12 slices of bread buttered and placed in a 12X9 casserole pan
9-12 eggs beaten
12 grated cheddar cheese or your favorite
1 4 oz can green chilies

Place butter bread in casserole, sprinkkle sausage over bread, pour eggs over sausage and bread, sprinkle cheese on top and add green chilies, cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Bake in a Preheated 375 degree oven until eggs are done and cheese is melted.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like a good alternative to my baked egg dish, Miss Dorothy. I like the idea of the green chiles although I do put out a jar of salsa when I have the baked eggs. I use a couple of pounds of ground sausage and cook that first and drain it and mix that up in the eggs (18 eggs) with about a cup and a half of grated cheddar. I stir the mix several times through the cooking and just before I take it out of the oven for the last time, I sprinkle more cheddar on the top.

Bluewolf

BACON!!!!!!:D

Can never go wrong with bacon!!!!

(but you have to be dedicated to the cause...) :D

I loves bacon could eat it everyday too!!!

*good thing I don't have a cholestrol problem huh?* :D

cheese
butter and
bacon

I can hear your arteries "clogging" out there....

Sorry :(

Kya D

Bacon sounds like a good idea too.
I am going to try the monkey bread and then I will maybe make it for the potluck.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bacon is always good. That's one of the things that if you fry 5 pounds, 5 pounds will be eaten. I had a terrible time with that in deer camp. I wouldn't even have all the bacon fried and every time someone would walk by, there would be less on the plate.

curbhopper

In our frozen food/breakfast area, there is a monkeybread already made up if you'd like to try it, before you make a homemade one. I can't think of who makes it but it would give you a taste before you make the 'real' one. That is true about bacon. We've had people up on the field yell towards our home,"WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE COOKING AND YOU'D BETTER SHARE!" we do. Curbie

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor,
I have had that dish before and it is really good. I just reprinted the recipe so I can use it. Had forgotten about it! Thanks!!!

How about hashbrown casserole. The recipe is on the back of a bag of frozen Ord Ida hasbrowns. We have a girl that makes it for our breakfast mmeetings. Eveybody loves it!

Spider_Lily

Sausage Breadsticks.

1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadstick dough or can use crescent rolls
8 smoked sausage links

Separate the dough into eight strips; unroll and wrap one strip around each sausage. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm

My family love's these as a quick breakfast.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds pretty good there, Spider. When I want to feed a bunch, I make a baked dish recipe with eggs. I had to cook for a group of 200 women one year and I landed on baked eggs for the main course. I made several pans of the baked eggs and added some frozen broccoli to a couple of the pans. I had prepared some ground pork sausage to add to a couple of pans too. Each pan had shredded cheese added to the eggs along with a dollop or two of milk. I stirred the pans through the cooking process so the added ingredients would not all be on the bottom of the pan when served. Right at the end of the cooking time, I sprinkled some additional shredded cheese on the top and a sprinkling of paprika for some color. The next time I cook breakfast for the fire department, I'm going to make two pans of the baked eggs and add some diced green chilis and add them to one of the pans. I als found out with that breakfast for all those women that I should never use aluminum pans. Reminded me of Dr. Seuss and his green eggs and ham.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com